Very large blue bottle with pontil spiral optic

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jengeorge

Reaction score
I collect glassware which is why we bought it. I loved the color and it is so big. I thought about Blenko or even Kanawha or Pilgrim because of the color and the swirl, but the applied top is what stumped me. I'm not sure I am using the correct terminology. The glob on the top is so uneven, not like more modern ware would be. Of course, it could be a glass blower's mistake. I have plenty of those. Thank you for looking. It's too big to fit inside any of my cabinets, so right now it has pride of place on a table. We are enjoying looking at it. Thanks again.

diggerjeff

Reaction score
if that is an old bottle there should be a wear ring on the bottom , newer pieces show less to no wear at the point the item touches what ever it may have sat on over the years. how many swirled ribs does it have and are they raised! this looks like a good bottle, but also it would be a very ez type to reproduce. i am inclined to call this a globular bottle rather than a flask,but i do agree it appears to be midwestern. there is something about the lip it does not look right. it is sure fancy for a utility bottle, my favorite color!!

jengeorge

Reaction score
The swirled ribs are raised. I counted 24. There is wear to the bottom. It's not terrible, but it is there. I thought maybe you could see it in the photo of the bottom of the bottle, but it doesn't show up well. I agree with you about the lip. It looks as if it were squashed slightly. There are bubbles in the glass, one is oval shaped and over an inch long. It is just a really cool bottle whether or not it is old. Thanks for your interest.

KentOhio

Reaction score
It has the right proportions and rib count to be from Zanesville, Ohio, but I think it's just too big. I'd say it's from Mexico.

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
Hi jengeorge !
Very interesting bottle ! It looks to be a repro of a Zanesville 24 rib swirl flask. These Midwestern Swirl flasks have been reproduced quite a bit.
Most of the original Zanesville swirl Flasks are in the 7 1/4" - 8 1/2" tall range .
You can send some pics to Norm Heckler ( info@hecklerauction.com )
for an expert opinion. He would be happy to look at your pics and tell you whether it's a Real McCoy or Repro. Hope this helps , Brian

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi jengeorge.
I agree with kumtow that it looks old, also it has a look about it like it's been used (for what though I don't know), it's a nice bit of glass what ever it is [;)] .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen