Victoria, B.C. Seltzer bottle, Can anyone give me some information on this bottle and company? Would really appreciate it.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
1687224437260.png

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
Picked this up online. Don't know anything about it or the company. Can only find a couple ads on eBay which don't have any information on the bottle, age or company. Appreciate any help you can give.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There's a bit of info on the company in this thread: https://www.antique-bottles.net/threads/old-english-beverages-co-ltd-victoria-bc.687273/ I remember seeing their later bottles a lot more than their earlier ones. Yours presumably dates to around the 1920s-30s. Not sure when exactly acid-etched seltzer bottles stopped being used in BC. Old English had a lightning stopper stoneware ginger beer bottle too, if they really started operation in 1926 then it's probably one of the last bottles of that type used in Canada. The few remaining bottlers using stoneware ginger beers would have been switching over to crown tops around that time.

tolmanbridge

Reaction score
There's a bit of info on the company in this thread: https://www.antique-bottles.net/threads/old-english-beverages-co-ltd-victoria-bc.687273/ I remember seeing their later bottles a lot more than their earlier ones. Yours presumably dates to around the 1920s-30s. Not sure when exactly acid-etched seltzer bottles stopped being used in BC. Old English had a lightning stopper stoneware ginger beer bottle too, if they really started operation in 1926 then it's probably one of the last bottles of that type used in Canada. The few remaining bottlers using stoneware ginger beers would have been switching over to crown tops around that time.
Thank you for the information. Examples on eBay seem to be going for a very reasonable (cheap) price. Is this a common bottle?

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Examples on eBay seem to be going for a very reasonable (cheap) price. Is this a common bottle?
I think it's more common than a lot of BC seltzers, but I don't remember seeing many when I was out there. I think the fact that it's a newer one and it's clear probably brings the price down somewhat.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause