Victoria Cross manufacturing company

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

warith

Reaction score
Spring cleaning (in Winter!) and I turned up this one that I'd forgotten about. It's not quite mint, slightly sick and with a stress crack on the neck. It's also not cleaned very well... someday! [&:]

It's a fairly standard shaped "worcestershire sauce" type bottle. It's embossing states "Victoria Cross Mfg Co" with a pictorial victoria cross.

Anyone know it's rarity or anything about the company? A google search turned up nada, but it could be because there are huge numbers of sites dedicated to Victoria Cross recipients, and a simple sauce company doesn't quite rate amongst those.

Wu59607.jpg

Attachments

• Wu59607.jpg
    Wu59607.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 159

warith

Reaction score
a quick update on this bottle; I took it along to last night's Sydney bottle club monthly meeting, and no one there had ever heard of it. That's a first for me!

Toxic_Waste

Reaction score
Isn't there a Victoria Cross Hotel in Sydney? Maybe there is some old history to that, unless it is a fairly new place.

IRISH

Reaction score
I've never seen one of them before, nicely embossed too it's got to be one of the better hotsauce bottles out there [;)] .

warith

Reaction score
I've checked Sands from 1877 until 1910 and couldn't find any listing. I'm thinking it's perhaps a rare Aussie one (from outside NSW) or pommie or perhaps even from NZ?

I'm pretty sure it's from 1890's or early 1900's. I meant to check the Sands from 1910 to 1920 (it's certainly older than 1920), but didn't get the opportunity.

It's embossing is certainly nice, shame it doesn't also have a bit more writing!

Dirranbandi

Reaction score
G'day Warith

A search of IP Australia's Trademarks indicates that your sauce bottle's trademark was registered by Henry Jones (IXL) Limited for the Victoria Cross Manufacturing Company Brisbane, Queensland on 5 October 1905 (Registered Trademark No. 2486, Class 42).

The attached image is from the search and identifies the company's name in the bottom scroll.

IP Australia Website has a search facility for Australian registered Trademarks: http://pericles.ipaustralia.gov.au/atmoss/falcon.application_start

Cheers,

Dirranbandi

Jh15442.jpg

Attachments

• Jh15442.jpg
    Jh15442.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 113

warith

Reaction score
nice (I'm using this term loosely) find. Cheers Irish!

Now I know a fair bit about the company, I just gotta find someone who wants to trade for something I want.... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4