Walking Dog Off Leash - Taserable Offense

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: towhead

Although, officers are not required to issue any warnings before using a Taser on a suspect, I would've at least warned him that I was going to zap him. But, maybe some park rangers aren't trained in communication.

-Julie

I agree also, on warning the person, if it comes to that kind of situation. What if they have a heart condition or something? I don't care what anyone says, it cannot be good for your heart. Also, how did she know he was giving a false name?

I'm just commenting as I go here. I missed this post, earlier.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Manuka Nature area reserve is another example. They did the study, they shot the animals and put up the gates. 20 years in the making.
The place is now totally over grow with invasive plants. Apparently the evil ungulates enjoyed invasive plants.

Hey Tony,

They may be on the cusp of a breakthrough. You could suggest ungulate educational intervention via Tom Swift Electric Rifle... [8D]

I'm considering myself lucky that the railroad Bull who busted me for reckless rail walking didn't Taze my ole azz, when he took me down. I think it would be a clock stopper, in my case.

"Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Taser mishap costs Arizona firm $10 million

The taser gun has been considered the primary choice for subduing perpetrators without lethal force, however, 127 lawsuits have been filed against the 50,000-volt weapon for killing a relative of their family. In every case except one, lawyers have successfully argued that the victim's drug use or pre-existing cardiac condition would have killed them from trauma from being physically detained by police officers in any circumstance.

On July 19th, the TASER firm was required to pay $10 million to the family of Darryl Turner, a 17-year-old resident of Charlotte, North Carolina who died after a 37 second prolonged exposure to the shot of a taser gun.

The taser gun has proven it can be lethal, killing about 450 people since 2001. Yet, the court's ruling accuses the negligence of the firm for properly training officers in correct use of the weapon, rather than the lethality of the weapon itself.

Turner was shot when police were called after Turner had an argument with the manager. The probes were shot into his chest when Turner lunged at a police officer. Officers are taught to only use a 5 second burst shot at an area other than the chest, due to the close proximity to the heart. The officer who fired the gun however, shot at the chest AND applied 37 seconds of the shock.

Sadly, just hours after the Turner verdict, a police officer in the same department tased a 21-year-old man who died a few hours later. Officials are considering removing the high energy weapon from police officers belts." From.

There's a series of videos on the Traffic Ticket Tazering of Jared Massey Right Here. Including some sorta Cable Access "CrimeTime 29" show that serides the "Whiner." You guys that watch it decide whether it was a righteous Tazering...

A Jury Found for Mr. Massey...

It is seeming to me that there is a fair amount of tazering going on, not necessarily per procedure or protocol.

Ok to Tazer 10 Year Old? Mom says Please Do...

3784585345_f37f961e16.jpg

"For crowd control, when a single taser won’t do:

The Shockwave is meant to “de-escalate/defuse violent crowd/riot situations,†although I have a feeling that if you Taser the first wave of a crowd, it might get a lot more rowdy — especially if they see that your Shockwave is a one-shot device, or three at the most (plus you can duck)." From.

rockbot

Reaction score
I guess the taser is a precursor to the electric chair. Sort of a warm-up![:D]

epackage

Reaction score
Buddy of mine is a Ranger here in NJ and had a run in with "native people" riding ATV's in the woods, tried to question them and things got out of hand. Sadly my friend had to shoot one man who ended up dead, things went south because the tribe felt that he wasn't warranted in stopping the ATV rider to begin with and he ended up getting sued, and there was a court case and civil suits....

Life is a bitch sometimes, and hopefully this stuff never happens again, even though I'm 100% sure it will[8|]

rockbot

Reaction score
This is what happens when you video tape cops around here. I wonder what you would think if this happened in your town?

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/15232996/big-island-blogger-claims-police-brutality

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hmmm, I'll bet it happens a lot of places and some folks won't speak up....

How Ironic,...The police statement says it would okay to watch and film from a safe distance, must be this guy wasn't a safe distance?[8|]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I just worked my way through this whole post and I feel drained. The female officer was insufficiently trained to be carrying a dangerous weapon. I'm sure she imagined that when she was given a false name, she had a dog-walking homicidal lunatic in her midst. She probably also thought that there was no chance that she could match up in a physical altercation with both the lunatic AND the dog. So, she uncerimoniously tased him in the back. Stupid and abusive. She was in so far over her head, its a wonder they let her roam the park at all. And the park ranger's preparation-for-litigation-policy that its up to a ranger's individual discretion is really obnoxious. They should train the rangers exactly and precisely when a taser is appropriate and when its not. If you are going to use it to insure compliance in your educational doggy leash campaigns, expect that rangers will become very unpopular very rapidly (and that lawsuits will follow).

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Bob,

I'm wondering what "false name" he gave her. Unless it was something like "Princess Lea," this being California & all, it might have been real. Musta been mighty offensive, to backshoot him without further preamble.

I'm still wondering what kinda doggies, too. I do believe Mr. Hesterberg has retained an attorney.

The TV attornies may be starting to pay attention, too.

"Teaching Citizens to Heel: Park Ranger Reportedly Tasers Man Walking Small Dogs Off Leash

In California’s Rancho Corral de Tierra (part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area), a National Park Service Ranger reportedly shot Gary Hesterberg in the back with a taser after he walked away during a confrontation over walking his two lapdogs off leash. He was then arrested on suspicion of failing to obey a lawful order, having dogs off-leash and knowingly providing false information. The park service spokesperson reportedly said it is all part of teaching citizens about the new leash law in the area . . . or teaching Hesterberg to heel.

Witnesses objected that the force was excessive and said that the ranger refused to respond when confronted over the necessity or reason for the arrest.

The ranger says that Hesterberg gave a false name and then began to walk away from the ranger. Howard Levitt, a spokesman for the park service, added that he did not have identification on him. Levitt explained that the ranger “pursued him a little bit and she did deploy her [electric-shock weapon] . . . That did stop him.â€

It is common for people to walk their dogs off leash in the area, but when the area was made part of the national park system in December, a new leash rule was imposed.

The article below says that Levitt explained that “the ranger was trying to educate residents of the rule.†Wow, if true, that is quite a lesson plan. Stop, explain, tase, and repeat.

The account of these witnesses not only raises serious questions of excessive force but also excessive charges that followed the alleged abuse. We have seen other cases of alleged abuse where citizens have been hit with an array of charges. This creates significant pressure for the accused to plead or remain silent. I do not see why a taser would be needed on such a minor offense." From.

She mighta been better off Tazing then shooting him, and the doggies, like This Phoenix Officer...

This story is equally bizarre: Ninth Circuit Rules Police Officers Were Justified in Tasering Pregnant Woman Three Times Over Traffic Ticket The rest of the story...

A list of further outrageous Tazerings is RIGHT HERE...

140px-us-nationalparkservice-shadedlogo-svg.png

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75