Wanted: Probe! Will buy or trade bottles :-)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

trccscott

Reaction score
Needed: Really Good Bottle Probe
Wanted: Really Good Bottle Probe with level 20 magical "find the privy or dump" properties
Really Wanted: Really Good Bottle Probe with level 20 magical "find the privy or dump" and level 30 "make work party and hole invisible" properties

No really, I have struck out trying to follow any of the suggestions found via the Search forums function available on this site as well as with any of the folks on the web who still sell probes. The emails either don't get returned and in another case I even got to the point of sending a PayPal payment and then received a message then the seller was refunding my money as he was not making any more probes.

Anyone out there who may be willing to make or sell me a probe, I would appreciate your contacting me :)

For those folks who collect PA embossed druggists, I may be able to trade you a whole slew of bottles for a probe, as I am trying to narrow down my collection to focus on WA and CA as much as possible.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

level 20 magical "find the privy or dump"

that will require the probe be given a blood sacrifice (or jamming it through a colored pontil beer will suffice)

I don't know which would be worse... How much blood are we talking? [:D]

I bought a probe from someone on this site, but they haven't posted in a while, and I don't remember their username. I haven't used it yet, but there are privies in my future, so better late then never. Their names were Anthony & Lydia, I think.

willieboy

Reaction score
I make probes from time to time. I use 3/8" springsteel sewer rod to make 4' and 5' probes. I weld and grind a tip on the end of the rod for easier penetration. The handle is generally 1" steel pipe and the rod is removable from the handle. The problem is the sewer rod comes in 6' pieces from a distributor in the Chicago area so freight is an issue . Also each rod costs about $18.00 before freight. By the time you add the steel pipe and welding you spend an hour or so then the shipping to you. The cost runs up.

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
For my short problem I just used a piece of spring steel from the trunk of a Crown Vic at a junkyard. Most old Cadi, Buicks, Olds ect used these in the trunk . Didn't cost me anything. Pointed the end on a grinder, and had a muffler shop weld on a piece of pipe for a couple of bucks. Kinda short but from what Ive heard, its not the size that matters, it how you use it.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
i am looking for materials to make probes, 5/16" is optimum, if someone can find a very very hard iron or spring steel please let me know where i can get it and i will make probes to your specifications all day long.

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: xxfollyxx

For my short problem I just used a piece of spring steel from the trunk of a Crown Vic at a junkyard. Most old Cadi, Buicks, Olds ect used these in the trunk . Didn't cost me anything. Pointed the end on a grinder, and had a muffler shop weld on a piece of pipe for a couple of bucks. Kinda short but from what Ive heard, its not the size that matters, it how you use it.
short probe* stupid predictive text

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: xxfollyxx

Ding ding we have a winner! I do the same except we weld our own.
And we weld a ball bering on the end to pick up fill from the pit.

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Actually got the spring steel in the junkyard in your neck of the woods RICK. HARRYS, in Allentown, awesome place.

I had a bolt tacked on a few inches up and grinded it into a cone shape. It widens the hole so there isn't fiction all the way down the rod, making it easier to push in, and picks up some fill

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn