WANTED!! Spreitzer hutches...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
Looking for dates I don't have, 1883 & 84, 1890, 95 & 96 and 98 & 99.... I have the 1882 I just couldn't find it for this pic...

6C9436FFEBCE40499BF1047EE9DE9A9A.jpg

Attachments

• 6C9436FFEBCE40499BF1047EE9DE9A9A.jpg
    6C9436FFEBCE40499BF1047EE9DE9A9A.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 72

epackage

Reaction score
Yes there are two 1887's, one is aqua and the other is cornflower blue, the 1897 is the only green one in the group and I think the 98 & 99 are also green...

clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Reaction score
Just curious..(& may be a stupid question.) Are the Spreitzer bottles the only that have Patterson NJ on them, or are there other names/ brands etc. that also have Patterson NJ ? Do you exclusively collect these? They are really nice bottles & so cool to have most consecutive years.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: clloyd2004@yahoo.com

Just curious..(& may be a stupid question.) Are the Spreitzer bottles the only that have Patterson NJ on them, or are there other names/ brands etc. that also have Patterson NJ ? Do you exclusively collect these? They are really nice bottles & so cool to have most consecutive years.
There are many with Paterson on them(one T only)[;)], I have about 350 with Paterson embossed or on a paper label and there are alot more, and yes that's all I collect really. I live in the neighboring town and my family has been here for ever and many of my relatives worked in Paterson in the 1800's Carol, thanks for the kind words... Jim

There are a decent amount of bottles that have Paterson spelled with two T's by mistake, including the most valuable example from 1850...[;)]

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey E. Interesting grouping of hutches. I can't help you because I have never seen anyone find one here. (I did find a hutch from Oklahoma once, though). So, I was thinking to myself, "Self, what else can you learn from these bottles?" Immediately, I wanted to see the 1882 version. That's the one you have but couldn't find for the picture. So, please find it!

Here's why. The Hutchinson patent is issued in 1878 or 1879. At the time, most bottles are still being hand blown with a longer neck. In fact, Hutchinson stoppers were originally made in five lengths to try to accomodate various existing bottle stock. However, as time passed, the Hutchinson bottle gained wider more general use and acceptance. Soda bottles rapidly lost their longer necks and sloping shoulders and began to take on the classic 'hutchinson' style (of strong shoulders and no neck). The transition was not immediate but rather, took a few years.

So, looking at your pictures, the 1881 is hardly like the others shown at all. In terms of style, it almost seems like the odd bottle out (which also makes it stand out from the rest in some ways). It doesn't match in height. The neck and shoulders are different. By 1885, as shown in your pics, there is remarkable uniformity of style in these Spreitzers. A quick glance shows only one minor difference, the year changes.

So, I'd like to see a new picture. The 1881 placed at left with the 1882 in the middle and the 1885 at right. In theory, that should show a nice little evolution of bottle form as it is changing during this transitional period. Im hoping that the 1882 is a long neck weak shouldered (if you will) hutchinson in the middle.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
The next thing I noticed Jim is actually just logical. The blobs are different. You also see that the tombstones are not completely uniform and the lettering changes. A large part of this - is evolution of form over the years and the changing of glass manufacturers. There is no way that a company which is open for business that many years would have always used the same glassblower. Companies competed with each other to make these things. Some went out of business, some had better pricing, etc . . . So, there are very likely, many different bottle makers represented. Each of these manufacturers would have had to create their own versions of molds to blow bottles in and their versions would naturally be different. (However, some glassblowers may have bought out another competetor or could be the same company with a change of ownership. Then the same mold could potentially be used).

Each glassblower had different artisans who may have had slightly different styles. So, sometimes you can identify a hutch manufacturer by the blob or the overall style. For example, I find hutches from a local company fairly frequentlly. In the history of this particular company, five different glassmakers were used. So, whenever I find one, I look at the front and guess the glassblower. I'm very familiar with these bottles but still it's amazing how often I get it right - almost every time.

So, it would be interesting to note how many bottle manufacturers are making Spreitzer hutches? Are there years where you might find them from different glassblowers? (I would think that there has to be). So, would you want to collect the SAME year from DIFFERENT glassmakers?

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Another note about blobs. The early blobs in your top row likely feature some that are truly applied. A separate glob of molten glass is placed on the pre-formed bottle coming out of the mold. (I like this effect because the blobs are often crude and interesting). Later, the blobs will still be hand tooled but not applied in the same way.

Here's a guess on a glassmaker. (I wonder if I'm right). Your 1897, my guess is made by the ROOT glass company. It may be marked RGCo. That particular thin slightly unique blob is one that I associate with ROOT. Please let me know if I got it correct.[:)]

epackage

Reaction score
Here are the three different 1882's Bob, I'll read thru the rest of what you wrote a little later after dinner, yse some are applied tops and some are tooled...Thanks..Jim

A8B6C2ABCE204AE2BB8E5B7E43DECED4.jpg

Attachments

• A8B6C2ABCE204AE2BB8E5B7E43DECED4.jpg
    A8B6C2ABCE204AE2BB8E5B7E43DECED4.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 86

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Never eat and read, I always say.. [;)]
As unrefined as I may appear, I like to eat at the kitchen table and not at my desk like a civilized human being, even though I'm single...[;)]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles