Warner coldwater mich german hop bitters sample

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mrbottles

Reaction score
Any idea how good this one is?

Steven

81DBB60A5D824F1CBD03C2B16E963A56.jpg

Attachments

• 81DBB60A5D824F1CBD03C2B16E963A56.jpg
    81DBB60A5D824F1CBD03C2B16E963A56.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 77

mrbottles

Reaction score
I put it next to my favorite bitters to show it is half sized.

Need advice on a tone more bought a big collection today. all random from a part time digger

Steven

380DFE82566E4034809FB31D0BC9C01C.jpg

Attachments

• 380DFE82566E4034809FB31D0BC9C01C.jpg
    380DFE82566E4034809FB31D0BC9C01C.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 88

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Steven,

I don't believe it to be a sample. It is the only issue of his Hop Bitters to have the Coldwater, MI designation though

"Hop Bitters

This popular bitters of the nineteenth century involved three proprietors in one way or another: John D. Doyle, Asa Titus Soule, and Collatinus D. Warner. Their bottles were similar, primarily amber, about 9 1/2 inches tall, and square with slanted indented roof or shoulder panels.

bit.01.03.jpg

Dr. C.D. Warner's German Hop Bitters 1880, Reading, Mich.

C.D. Warner is the other member of the trio because he put some of his German Hop Bitters Company label on bottles embossed Doyles Hop Bitters 1872. Did he recycle them or what? Warner also used slanted shoulder amber bottles similar to Doyle’s, embossed German Hop Bitters 1872, Reading, Mich., German Hop Bitters 1872, Dr. Warner’s, Reading, Mich., and German Hop Bitters 1880, Dr. C.D. Warner of Reading, Mich. The Rochester Union and Advertiser, July 17, 1885, gives the information that A.T. Soule obtained an injunction restraining C.D. Warner of Reading, Mich., from manufacturing German Hop Bitters. However the brand continued to appear in drug catalogs through 1901-1902. Perhaps Warner was able to continue with his two round shoulder bottles, the 10 inch tall one from Reading and the 8 inch tall one from Coldwater. While Wine of Tar seems to have become Warner’s “bread and butter†product." From.

WarnersWhite.jpg
"WARNER'S WHITE WINE AND TAR SYRUP COLDWATER, MICH
WARNER'S WHITE WINE AND TAR SYRUP CHICAGO" Thanks to Matt.

Dr. Collatinus attended Hillsdale College. "It was also in the 70`s that Dr.C.D. Warner began in a small way the manufacture of "Dr. Warners White Wine and Tar Syrup" a cough and cold remedy. Later he put a tonic on the market called "Warner Hop Bitters" the business flouished for several years, but in the 80`s an eastern concern brought suit against Warner for infringement of a copyrighted lable and the long fight in the courts crippled his business financially." From.

Ron/bearswede had ONE.

In Column 7 Top of the page, in this issue of The Sioux City Herald of 9/3/1885 is a notice of injunction by the Hop Bitters Company, of Rochester. It has the heading, "COUNTERFEITERS BEWARE."

I'm no good at values. I would call it a ground rule double, maybe a triple.

What's the story on that Black Bitters?

SENPA001-Glassworks004.jpg

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Surfaceonce,

Wow killer info. I am sort of confused though. My little Warners would not be considered a semi cabin would it?

The bitters next to it is there for size. It is the only semi cabin embossed from Milwaukee. I got two of them with paper labels that came out of a barn wall. It is really rare and they are my favorite bitters. I only have one other in my permanent collection and that is a one of a kind iron pontiled bitters. http://www.mrbottles.com/galleryimage.asp?ID=4571

Thanks... You are an asset to the bottle collecting world.

Steven

botlguy

Reaction score
Your WARNER'S is listed in Ring - Ham as G-24 (GERMAN HOPS BITTERS) and listed as Very Rare. It is not considered a Semi-Cabin but not to worry, it is a rather nice bottle as priced by Ring - Ham at $600 +

Congratulations! Never had one (or the other pictured) in my rather extensive BITTERS collection. The RITZ'S is valued at $1,000 +. Would LUV to see more and better pictures of both these bottles and some of the other better BITTERS in your collection.

mrbottles

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

Here are more pictures of the Warners. I have never had so many people trying to get me to close an auction early as on this one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Warner-Coldwater-Mich-Hop-Bitters-1880-sample-size-sml-/220846973627?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336b8162bb

You can see pictures of the only three bitters that are in my permanent collection at my website. http://www.mrbottles.com/antiqueBottleCollector3.asp In fact that link is to all but maybe five of the bottles in my collection. Some are just color i like most are super rare and very beautiful Wisconsin bottles.

If you really want more detailed pictures of the ones in my collection let me know and I will post them. You can also see the most complete listing of Wisconsin Bitters bottles at my website. http://www.mrbottles.com/galleryWisconsinBitters.asp

Do you have any great Wisconsin bitters you want to sell? For as many as there are out there i have never had a chance at a Fess. Would love a Fess.

Steven

bottlekid76

Reaction score
Tha yellow W. Ritmeiers California Wine Bitters is a beauty Steven!

~Tim

mrbottles

Reaction score
Warner Coldwater Mich Hop Bitters 1880 sample size sml

Item condition: --

Ended: Sep 11, 201112:01:00 PDT

Bid history: 20 bids

Winning bid: US $921.74

All i can say is not expected!

thanks for the help everyone!!!

Steven

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Steven;

Congratulations! Looks like it was an inside the park Homer.

Patsy_dougherty_baseball_card.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973