Warranted Flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kaleb Pusateri

Reaction score
20220626_133219.jpg
20220626_133224.jpg
20220626_133232.jpg
20220626_133240.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Could date as old as 1890's I'd guess. Congrats. LEON.

Reactions: Len
Reaction score
My first post ever by 79-year-old granddaughter of former owner of Live Oak Bottling Company in Florida. A friend who was metal-detecting Civil War sites in Virginia found this flask and gave it to me. It is embossed "Warranted Flask: It is pale amethyst or pink, has side seams, and is clean on the outside. How do I safely clean the inside and how old do you think it is? Thanks, Demaris

Attachments

• Warranted Flask lg.jpg
    Warranted Flask lg.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 52

UnderMiner

Reaction score
My first post ever by 79-year-old granddaughter of former owner of Live Oak Bottling Company in Florida. A friend who was metal-detecting Civil War sites in Virginia found this flask and gave it to me. It is embossed "Warented Flask: It is pale amethyst or pink, has side seams, and is clean on the outside. How do I safely clean the inside and how old do you think it is? Thanks, Demaris
Warranted flasks all date from about the turn of the 20th century to the start of Prohibition in 1920. If it has a tooled lip it would be closer to the year 1900, if it is machined then it would be a little more modern (1910's).

You can clean it by spraying soapy water into it and then after it has soaked for a bit use a stick with a small bit of rag tied to the end to brush the inside. You want to be sure not to scratch the inside so make sure all loose particles of sand or other grit are rinsed out first.

Your bottle is manganese glass, that is why it has a tinge of amethyst color to it. This type of glass stopped being produced around the time of WWI, likely because most of the nation's manganese was used for the war effrot. If you leave your bottle in the sun it will slowly turn a darker Amethyst color. Put it in a tanning bed and the UV radiation will turn it a deep purple, some people like doing this as it makes the bottle appear more exotic, but in reality this is actually considered damagemig the thing :D

Reaction score
Thanks,
How do I differentiate tooled from machined lip?

Attachments

• Flask lip.jpg
    Flask lip.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 54
  • Flask base.jpg
    Flask base.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 63
Reaction score
Warranted flasks all date from about the turn of the 20th century to the start of Prohibition in 1920. If it has a tooled lip it would be closer to the year 1900, if it is machined then it would be a little more modern (1910's).

You can clean it by spraying soapy water into it and then after it has soaked for a bit use a stick with a small bit of rag tied to the end to brush the inside. You want to be sure not to scratch the inside so make sure all loose particles of sand or other grit are rinsed out first.

Your bottle is manganese glass, that is why it has a tinge of amethyst color to it. This type of glass stopped being produced around the time of WWI, likely because most of the nation's manganese was used for the war effrot. If you leave your bottle in the sun it will slowly turn a darker Amethyst color. Put it in a tanning bed and the UV radiation will turn it a deep purple, some people like doing this as it makes the bottle appear more exotic, but in reality this is actually considered damagemig the thing :D
Many thanks, I will protect it from the sun. Obviously, it has been buried for a long time and not exposed to the sun.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264