Were is the privy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jake12

Reaction score
Hi guys , been exploring around my neighborhood lately and fuound a nice vacant price of land . It has a small grove of trees that opens up into a yard that is now a field. There are also some woods , I've researched the area and there was a house here in 1876. A old road is right near the woods so the house once faced the road. Iv found out that after the house was torn or fell down the siding , wood, nails ,rocks , bricks and wiring was moved right across from we're the house stood and dumped into a pile. Would they have moved the privy ? I've been digging and found the old foundation or privy but no bottles.. There are some old coke tin cans on top of the ground and the. area has never been dug up. Anybody no were people would dig these privys when the house existed ? Thanks for reading and comments would be VERY helpful! :) -Jake.

Jake12

Reaction score
Would a metal detector help me find one?-Jake

Jake12

Reaction score
No sadly I don't:( . The area was once a farm so I'm not sure how deep the privy might be. I've heard that farm privys & dumps aren't as deep.

Jake12

Reaction score
Ok thanks 4 the help :) is there a lot of nails and metal in the old privys? Because I have a metal detector would it help me a little?

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Jake12

Ok thanks 4 the help :) is there a lot of nails and metal in the old privys? Because I have a metal detector would it help me a little?

No metal and tin are all over the place on a farm. The detector will go off like crazy. A probe is what you need. or just try a few test hole see whats up.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
metal detector will not help you! it will make it worse. old farms have metal everwhere under ground you will get a hit every 2 foot. farm dumps are shallow because their is only 1 family using it. farm privys are usually 4 foot or less, but, their may be 4 of them on 1860's farm property just by the house then expect another in the barnyard somewhere.

mtfdfire22

Reaction score
sorry rick. said the same thing as you. my comp. is running a little slow today

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amandaward