Western Whiskey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
RE: Gold Dust fifth

ORIGINAL: beendiggin

Is there a "bible" of Western whisky bottles"? 
There is, or was, anyway. John Thomas originally did the first "updated" guide to the quality western whiskies in 1969, followed by a 1977 review. He passed in 2000, but a "tribute" newer update was done in 2002, by a few of his friends. It is out of print, I believe, but copies may still be available at shows. It's a bit "pricey", but is still the only book that has a lot of history to go along with the nice drawings and photos. If you wish, a copy might be "scared up" for you.

maxbitters

Reaction score

Amber gold dust common, you've got to be kidding me. These bottle are not common by any means. Star Shield Cutter's now that's somewhat of a common bottle

CALDIGR2

Reaction score

I believe there was some inexperience speaking there, Lou. Yeah, Star Shield is damned common, yet they get a "bit" of respect. Same's the "Circle" Hotalings. There's a bloody "zillion" of 'em around, but try to buy one for even a hundred bucks, these days. Ain't gonna happen.

caldigs

Reaction score

No, they are not common, but the way collectors horde them you'd think they were extremely rare. After digging ten busted Gold Dusts in different parts of the Bay Area and missing an outhouse that ended up producing a John Van Bergen I can tell you that Gold Dusts are common in The Bay Area. I've dug more busted Gold Dusts than Star and Shields, Mid-Crowns or Jesse Moores. I'm sure that over 50 amber Gold Dusts have been dug or found in the Bay over the years. Some collectors have large herds..............

Here is the horse that came off a lot the one night I didn't dig:

DC573A07AE99474F91C257936B85BEEF.jpg

Attachments

• DC573A07AE99474F91C257936B85BEEF.jpg
    DC573A07AE99474F91C257936B85BEEF.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 63

caldigs

Reaction score

In my experience (or lack there of) Gold Dusts are not a Sacramento bottle, but green Grange flasks sure are.

maxbitters

Reaction score

I've always thought and still think that most bottle collectors don't understand what the real difference is between "common & rare" in the collector world. A baseball card, coin, stamp or what ever where there is 50 or less would be considered extremely rare in any other collectible category. What some diggers perceive as being "common" to them is only because they happen to dig in areas where certain items are known to be found. Amber Gold Dust are primarily only found in two small isolated areas in the entire world, the Bay Area & Virginia City. Go outside these areas and I can tell you with certainty these bottles are almost non existent.

Other collectibles I mentioned earlier that are considered extremely rare can be found world wide. If an amber gold dust is common then what is a Bromo, Kilmer's, champagnes, etc. If they are so common then why aren't everyone's shelf's lined with them ? I've dug well over a thousand holes in some of the most concentrated Gold Dust districts over the past 30 years. In that time I was lucky enough to have dug four of these bottles. In my book their extremely rare and damn hard to find.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score

ORIGINAL: caldigs

In my experience (or lack there of) Gold Dusts are not a Sacramento bottle, but green Grange flasks sure are.
I love that BULLS**T story, Andrew. Sacramento, my A##! Oh, they are found here, but in only one area and not too many folks have a clue. I have dug 3 mint ones and 7 fifths over the years, so don't tell me what is where. LOL No "Dusters" here, yet. At least none by me, in my narrow years of pokin' around this burg.

caldigs

Reaction score

My earlier words were stated with the premise that ANY 1870's 5th that isn't a Cutter is rare and hard to find. California Clubhouse, Old Woodburn, St. Suits, Kentucky Gem, Laurel Crown, ect.........those are extremely rare. In the hierarchy of 70s western 5ths, Gold Dusts are closer to common than rare but they are extremely DESIRABLE. Think about it, how many western 5ths with over 50 examples known command upwards of $10,000 ?????

Three Grange flasks and seven 5ths is DAM impressive. I bet you never let your eyes off the non-ABD houses in that area.

maxbitters

Reaction score

Boys, boys, boys, now control yourselves. CALDIGR2 is totally correct in saying that "not to many folks have a clue" in what parts of town certain bottles are found. Oh sure Grange flask may come from that town but like the Gold Dust their limited to only a certain neighborhood(s). It was a neighborhood bar or store that sold the stuff way back when and in most cases it was not widely distributed throughout town. That being the case their often found only close to the area where they were distributed. One of my favorite Gold Dust neighborhoods has produced over 50 busted amber Gold Dust and two mint ones within about a four block area. If your lucky enough to know where the area is and even luckier to find a undug 70s hole and dig a 5th it's likely going to be a Duster, it's a very non Cutterish zone. Go outside that neighborhood and it's back to the Cutters.

Rare bottles are totally underrated in comparison to most all other collectibles. A rare gold coin or stamp where there would be 50 or less know would likely be 75k plus. For their age, rarity & beauty bottles are a total bargain.

CALDIGR2

Reaction score

You said it, maxbitters. I collect coins, too, along with Winchester rifles. Rare bottles are a bargain, comparatively speaking. I'd still rather dig than buy, though.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.