What a pretty lill bottle I found....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Someone needs to tell the Joss House museum because they think those are opium bottles! I actually cleaned them- citric acid works so well, I was happy to see. They were so Grodi that I didn’t even know there was some embossing under the dirt! Really I am waiting to find the gold the Chinese gold miners had stashed around out there- when they were so rudely ran out in the middle of the night and either they made it, or were killed, right there, by the white miners, in 1860. Nice to find a massacre like that went down on property ya own! I never have nightmares, except for when I sleep out there- and that was before I discovered it’s history.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah they're widely referred to as opium bottles by collectors, but they just don't make sense for that use considering what opium actually looks like - it's a thick tarry substance that you'd never be able to get out of a bottle like that. I think it's just one of those persistent collecting myths.
Wow that's terrible to find out that you live by the site of a massacre! I've heard of a number of abuses like that against the Chinese in the mid-19th century in the western US. I'm pretty sure that you had Chinese miners returning to your property more recently than that though, because your Chinese bottles are exactly like the ones that we used to find in late 19th and early 20th century sites in BC. I dug one with a long neck like yours from a 30s dump in fact. Have you ever metal detected the site? There's a good chance that you have 17th or 18th century Chinese coins waiting to be found out there, they're commonly found around areas that had Chinese populations in the 19th century because they were carried as good luck charms.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Someone needs to tell the Joss House museum because they think those are opium bottles! I actually cleaned them- citric acid works so well, I was happy to see. They were so Grodi that I didn’t even know there was some embossing under the dirt! Really I am waiting to find the gold the Chinese gold miners had stashed around out there- when they were so rudely ran out in the middle of the night and either they made it, or were killed, right there, by the white miners, in 1860. Nice to find a massacre like that went down on property ya own! I never have nightmares, except for when I sleep out there- and that was before I discovered it’s history.

Someone needs to tell the Joss House museum because they think those are opium bottles! I actually cleaned them- citric acid works so well, I was happy to see. They were so Grodi that I didn’t even know there was some embossing under the dirt! Really I am waiting to find the gold the Chinese gold miners had stashed around out there- when they were so rudely ran out in the middle of the night and either they made it, or were killed, right there, by the white miners, in 1860. Nice to find a massacre like that went down on property ya own! I never have nightmares, except for when I sleep out there- and that was before I discovered it’s history. You are right about the dental thing... I see something about Porcelain from the caulk co? (Like an eye chart! ) weird bottle. Wonder why I never cleaned these!
82e1706552f1566fbb0f63d004f5c32d.jpg

f8385bcc0112ac215a154164f56f4a2e.jpg

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Yeah they're widely referred to as opium bottles by collectors, but they just don't make sense for that use considering what opium actually looks like - it's a thick tarry substance that you'd never be able to get out of a bottle like that. I think it's just one of those persistent collecting myths.
Wow that's terrible to find out that you live by the site of a massacre! I've heard of a number of abuses like that against the Chinese in the mid-19th century in the western US. I'm pretty sure that you had Chinese miners returning to your property more recently than that though, because your Chinese bottles are exactly like the ones that we used to find in late 19th and early 20th century sites in BC. I dug one with a long neck like yours from a 30s dump in fact. Have you ever metal detected the site? There's a good chance that you have 17th or 18th century Chinese coins waiting to be found out there, they're commonly found around areas that had Chinese populations in the 19th century because they were carried as good luck charms.

Yes- the medal detector turned up Chinese coins, and square headed nails. It’s all leveled out tailing piles by the creek, now, but the foundations are intact. Ya know, that makes sense about trying to get opium out of those bottles... it is sticky.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Yes- the medal detector turned up Chinese coins, and square headed nails. It’s all leveled out tailing piles by the creek, now, but the foundations are intact. Ya know, that makes sense about trying to get opium out of those bottles... it is sticky.

I don’t live out there... I just own a bunch of property out there... it happened ON my property. Then there was a weird guy that murdered 3... neighbors and such... he was a neighbor! Pretty place in the spring- bad energy!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I got Good News & Bad News. Whatcha wanta hear first? OK, The Bad news is Lash's Bitters are extremley Common & maybe worth $10. The Good News, I never seen a little Sample size Bottle of it, SO, I'd assume that one is much tougher but don't know the Value. I've dug a few different little sample size bottles before with some also saying Sample right on the Bottle like yours, just never dug that one. Congrats, Nice Find. LEON.
Sample.JPG

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score

What’s a trip, is this was my dads property, so I’ve been moshing u and down that creek for 35 years, gold panning?we never noticed but sitting there looking along the banks of the creek (usually looking for lions and rattlesnakes)we noticed how the bank had been cut in spots- those guys had a trough-with water going back and forth down stream, probably getting enough drop in elevation to have running water, either for dredging? There were tailing piles everywhere or running water to those tiny cabins. Life had to be ruff out there then- it would be ruff now! ya know, in the middle of the night, getting woken up, then chased by these idiots on horseback with guns, killing your tribe, your first thought wouldn’t be to grab your gold. I think they stashed it around, out there. And upon closer inspection, 1 of thes bottles I thought was opium looks to have soil or something like it, in the corners of it- I have to wonder if I’m not the first to keep my gold in a bottle (and lose it..l it happens) out there? These were directly outside one of the foundations?
e727cdb3ee118bf734c87a5b643f5396.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClaireS