What are these marble like pieces I find around the bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jjpages

Reaction score
I have an old dumpsite on this ranch I live on and have found tons of bottles. I always find these clear marble like balls scattered about. Each time I come accross a bunch of bottles, the marble looking things are always amongst them. Are they part of the lids? I read that some of the older types of bottles had glass marbles in the tops, I guess like stoppers maybe, and that kids use to break the lids to get to the glass marbles. does anyone have any info about this?

lynna

Reaction score
I also found marbles in an old surface dump on my property. I just figured they must have been popular back then. I would be curious to know if they had a purpose.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
The Codd bottle had a marble in the neck ,it was used as a stopper.The pressure of the bubbling mineral water pushed the marble against the upper ring and stopped it up.
If your finding that many marbles around the dump site, there should be signs of Codd bottles around,if thats what they are from..I don't think it was Codd bottle marbles.But then again I could be wrong.
I find a lot of marbles in dumps and privy's but not as many as your talking about.

jjpages

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of the clear/white looking marbles along with a glass marble I found in the area. Also I will post pics of the dumpsite where I have found most of these marbles along with tons of other interesting stuff.
Ok so I tried posting the pictures but it said the file was to large. What do I need to do to get the upload to work?

-Jessica

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Hi and welcome, Jessica...just try a search for your topic (resizing) believe me, you're not the first to ask about this, nor the first to have a problem with the file being too large....There are quite a few well explained solutions posted here before...it's simple once you get the hang of it. Joe

PrivyCheese

Reaction score
If there was alot of other household trash, I think they are the decorative glass pieces that are often put in vases. They still do it today.
It first became popular in the victorian times and has came in and out of fashion ever since. I have dug these same things.

Almost everytime they are all the same color, one dig they might be a blue color, another time they might be clear. I would Keep'em, wash them up and put them in something.

capsoda

Reaction score
I found alot of clear glass marbles while digging a farm dump. The old guy who owned the property said there was a chicken farm there and that his father and grand father put them in the chick wateres to keep the bitties from drowning during the first two weeks of there life. He said he mother used them like John said, as decorations in vases and planters. I always used broken up marble. (the rock not the toy)

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Who you kiddin Cap?
You used the glass marbles in your "sling shot" when you was shootin at bottles when you were young... That's why you had to use real marble (rocks) in your decorations ...[;)]

Wayne

LC

Reaction score
Hello Jessica , it is pretty simple to resize a picture once you know how to do so , but if after getting all the advice on how to resize the picture , and you are still not able to do so , send the picture to me in an email , and I will be glad to resize it for you , and then send it back to you , Lou

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL