What do these numbers and letters mean?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rluka

Reaction score
Hi all
Im new to this forum and to bottle collecting. I have an older 7UP bottles with lots of info on the bottom. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me what it all means. It was bottled in Seattle.
At the top there is a number 23..and some type of logo(looks like an eye)..followed by the number 47.
In the middle is a word starting with a G and ending in LAS. Below the word there is ..2.A
And at the bottom there is a 94.C.
Thanks..Ron L
7UPbottle.jpg

cc6pack

Reaction score
The symbol that looks like an eye to you is the logo for the Owens-Illionis Company, the G.....LAS is Duraglas part of the IO Co. usually the number to the right of the Diamond I mark is the date code. Usually a single didgit number is for a 40's date and a two number digit is for a 50's date if the number to the right of the mark is a 47 I'm confused......either way your bottle will date from the 40's-50's.

Check out the link below for more info on bottles in general.

http://www.blm.gov/historic_bottles/index.htm

rluka

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!! Here is a picture..its not very clear but Im pretty sure it says 47. I have another one with a 3.
Does that mean it was made in 1943? I found a good site awhile back that dated and indentified 7UP bottles but I cant find it anymore. Do you know of any such sites?
Thanks again..Ron L
47.jpg

cc6pack

Reaction score
Ron

The pic is good enough to read 47 to me. Whoever was setting the mould numbers coul have screw up and put it on the wrong side? Yes the single three is for 1943.

Here's another site for Makers Marks that is helpful at times, if you look under IO, Duraglas, Diamond O. it will give you some history of the Owens Companys along with plants. Almost forgot the number to the left is the plant where the bottle was made.

Saw your other post about the turn mold bottle. Nice. The BLM is great for beginning and experienced collectors, when you have time explore it. It's still under construction. The guy that's putting it up is a member here. I can't remember his ID, but he post on the Historical thread down near the bottom of the main page.

http://www.myinsulators.com/glass-factories/bottlemarks.html

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty