What goes around....!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Just had a young guy in to fix my DSL line,we got to talking and he said he collected insulators,but had being finding a lot of bottles.Well about 30 years ago I was heavily
into digging bottles and insulators all over Southern Ontario.
What I did was collect all the topographicial maps I could (older the better) then buy the modern one as a transparency,then lay it over the old ones,that would then show me the roads & farms (even villages that later became only street names)that did not exist or show on the modern maps,great way to find dumps
No reason this won't work today!! any place on the planet.
Sooooooooooo.........I now have the BUG again.
Also some GREAT stories,Like the time I found the one and only J.Ives Toronto soda,which I ended up selling for a song,but "hey" so many bottles,so little time.
Later,Dave.

Pontiled

Reaction score
Hi Dave and welcome to the Forum! It sounds like we should get a story telling section to this Forum. With all the experiences we have, I'm sure we could get some great experiences told.

When I was a child at the farm, I used to shoot at the insulators on the old (and I do mean old) poles that ran through the farm (300 acres) in Bedford County Virginia). All those years later, I wish I had better sense. They must have been threadless insulators for the old lines that came in to the house (built in 1842). I like to dream they were!

At least I have a thtreadless one excavated in Richmond (the Richmond "Egg").

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: CanadianBoy

What I did was collect all the topographicial maps I could (older the better) then buy the modern one as a transparency,then lay it over the old ones,that would then show me the roads & farms (even villages that later became only street names)that did not exist or show on the modern maps,great way to find dumps

Hey,
That is a great way to find dumps and such. I apologize that this won't be useful to everyone on the forum, but for the New Englanders here is a resource that has come in handy for me many times, it's awesome!

http://historical.maptech.com/

Sean

amblypygi

Reaction score
And actually, I notice it has expanded a lot recently. It used to be hosted at the Univ. of NH and was just New England, now it covers a lot more.

Bill D.

Reaction score
Another source for historical topo maps

If you've intersted in CD format, someone on ebay sells these maps for about $15 per state, or group of states. Just look up the seller name "resteele" to see all his auctions. I bought the one for VA, and was very satisfied. However, you need to verify if your area of the state is covered. His auctions usually list all the quad map names that come on a particular CD. Check it out.

143Tallboy

Reaction score
Hey Dave:
It's Chris 'the young guy who fixed your DSL', and I appreciate the 'young' part. I've been lurking on the forums for the past couple of months trying to learn a bit. Although insulators are my main collecting focus, I've definitely got the bottle bug now.

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
RE: What goes around....!!to bne74honda

I'm just south of Peterboro ,Ontario.
I sometimes get up your way to flyfish for Bows in the Fall.Great digging spots up there.

bne74honda

Reaction score
Fly fish for bows?!?!...You don't like salmon? [&:]The Nottawasaga river has 4 runs starting in late Aug/early Sept that are spectacular! I have a spot where I stand in 8" of water and the fish slap into my calves as they race upstream.[8D]....fantastic fishin. Once you're into the 3rd run, there are plenty of good sized rainbow joining in lookin for the salmon roe.

Anyhow, I'm hopin to get the family out to Emily campground in Aug for some pike, muskie and bass fishin.

Brian

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1