What have they done to you Johnston?!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I just acquired this D. Jhonston blob from Atlantic City, N.J. It is supposed to be Johnston.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
IMG_2938.jpeg
IMG_2939.jpeg

Hezezilla

Reaction score
I love these bottles with misspellings. Down here in Hawaii, a large immigrant population paired with the majority of the population speaking Pidgin English, we have a good few misspelled bottles. Oftentimes the misspellings were on purpose because that's how the words were pronounced. Wonder for what reason this one was misspelled.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I love these bottles with misspellings. Down here in Hawaii, a large immigrant population paired with the majority of the population speaking Pidgin English, we have a good few misspelled bottles. Oftentimes the misspellings were on purpose because that's how the words were pronounced. Wonder for what reason this one was misspelled.
That's interesting about the Hawaii ones! The ones we get like this are usually because inexperienced mold-cutters got confused about having to write backwards/mirrored when doing the molds, which was probably the case here. You also see misspellings of people and towns with less common names where someone just didn't check closely enough.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
That's interesting about the Hawaii ones! The ones we get like this are usually because inexperienced mold-cutters got confused about having to write backwards/mirrored when doing the molds, which was probably the case here. You also see misspellings of people and towns with less common names where someone just didn't check closely enough.
Quality control was almost nonexistent.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Illiteracy and over worked engraver.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Misspelled bottles are the best bottles!

jwpevahouse

Reaction score
I just acquired this D. Jhonston blob from Atlantic City, N.J. It is supposed to be Johnston.
ROBBYBOBBY64.View attachment 254398View attachment 254399
Soda and beer bottles were somewhat more expensive but quality wasn't an issue until after 1880. Even then quality was not always a high priority. It's amazing some bottles sold to bottlers had all sorts of imperfections yet were accepted and used anyway. As long as they didn't leak they were acceptable. I have the Plainsboro, NJ beer from the McNamee Company with Plainsboro spelled "Plainesboro" another from Kindston, NJ Joseph Catelli spelled "Joe Catalle".

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator