What is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mike O

Reaction score
Come on now all, You guys all know that that is a "DECK SWEEPER" lol[;)]

marjorie040

Reaction score
This is Great, Mike but what is a Deck Sweeper?
Thanks for contributing!
Marjorie

marjorie040

Reaction score
Here's the picture of the bottle through the light.....my photography isn't too refined but you can plainly see the "kick up" base and the huge bubble. There is absolutely no seam in the bottle although the first picture appears like it does...must have been a lighting effect.
Marjorie
P.S. you're right about the new vocabulary and I think I've got the "virus"!!!

0D57CB843B834A3B9DC6951CC13290B2.jpg

Attachments

• 0D57CB843B834A3B9DC6951CC13290B2.jpg
    0D57CB843B834A3B9DC6951CC13290B2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 66

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Hi Marjorie! As folks have already noted your bottle dates to the mid/late 18th century. As was the case with many utilitarian bottles of the period it was most likely blown into a dip mold to give it rudimentary size and shape and then expanded to its current form. The deep push up and pontil scar were created when the apprentice atttached a rod to the base securing the bottle while the gaffer tooled the mouth and applied the string rim. Although it MAY have been made in an "American" Glass House it is more likely that the bottle is a European import. Although there were several glass houses operating in the colonies prior to the Revolution most bottles of the 18th century were imported from England and/or Greater Europe. Willy van Den Bossche pictures numerous bottles of similar construction that he attributes to France but since colonial glassblowers were so closely emulating the imported bottles it is not implausible to believe that the piece was blown on our shores. It is in any case an attractive, early bottle. Great find!

trussin

Reaction score
If this bottle were to be sold at all it should only be done on one of the more reputable internet auctions. There this fairly common old bottle will bring top dollar for the highest kick up I have ever seen. Wow

marjorie040

Reaction score
I checked the link you suggested, Zane but I'm still not clear on Deck Sweepers.
Is Mike suggesting that my inquiries are some sort of scam?
Marjorie

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
no He was just joking because that post was fresh and you bottle is similar because of the lip I'm assuming. Just disregard anything you've read about deck sweepers. Sorry about that

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Marjorie, The decksweeper thing was quite alot of fun but I guess you had to be there.

As for me I would never joke around, teese or pick on anyone. [8|] Right guys!

You have to watch for it and don't be afraid to dish out a little either.[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vladlitski