What is the ULTIMATE ACL bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: 60miller

This is the ultimate paper label Pepsi bottle. It is Made by Armstrong Glass (Whitall Tatum) It was the standardized Pepsi bottle but it never had the Pepsi Label applied as it is the Factory Shelf Sample, Prototype, Salesman Sample Bottle. It is the only one in existence. It should be for sale shortly on ebay. It is the VALENTINES DAY PEPSI. It was made on February 14, 1940. http://njbottles.com/index.php/topic,4304.0.html Eat your heart out CoCa Cola collectors, now you have the Valentines Day Pepsi.

What's the difference between the one mentioned above [ besides the owners description and a lable of unknown orgin ] and......................

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pepsi-Cola-Glass-Bottle-DES-PAT-APP-FOR-A40-/360562927082?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53f339a5ea#ht_2240wt_756

Must be thousands out there, not just one on a shelf or am I missing something?

Sledge

Reaction score
Indeed Osia... I have a few myself. Although the labels are in rough shape, the bottle on the left is a 1940. Just thought I'd share.

5E8EA164EBFE4023891BAC33A56CECFF.jpg

Attachments

• 5E8EA164EBFE4023891BAC33A56CECFF.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 104

60miller

Reaction score
The glass bottles are similar. But you missed alot. Some of the biggest collectors of Whitall tatum (Armstrong) are insulator collectors and not bottle collectors. Whitall tatum Co, (Armstrong Glass) had a factory shelf with example of each of there production pieces. In fact they had an archival storage area. A stash of unique glass was acquired by a fellow insulator collector who got them from an employee who had saved them from the trash from the archive. . THis locall collector has the cd 128 csc with factory shelf sample label and several other production bottles including a lysol with the factory shelf paper label. THere are also wood sample bottles and insulators marked with whitall tatum and armstrong. This Pepsi Bottle was the actual factory shelf sample bottle. Wheaton glass also had factory labeled sample bottles some of which I own are from the 1970's which were saved from the dumpster. THe origin of this bottle is known, it is the factory sample bottle.

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: 60miller

The glass bottles are similar. But you missed alot. Some of the biggest collectors of Whitall tatum (Armstrong) are insulator collectors and not bottle collectors. Whitall tatum Co, (Armstrong Glass) had a factory shelf with example of each of there production pieces. In fact they had an archival storage area. A stash of unique glass was acquired by a fellow insulator collector who got them from an employee who had saved them from the trash from the archive. . THis locall collector has the cd 128 csc with factory shelf sample label and several other production bottles including a lysol with the factory shelf paper label. THere are also wood sample bottles and insulators marked with whitall tatum and armstrong. This Pepsi Bottle was the actual factory shelf sample bottle. Wheaton glass also had factory labeled sample bottles some of which I own are from the 1970's which were saved from the dumpster. THe origin of this bottle is known, it is the factory sample bottle.

So let me get this right.

What makes this bottle special is the lable that someone from the factory put on it, is that correct?

Plus the fact it is one the factory kept as an example?

It's is not a proto-type, no? Just a regular bottle w/ an aged lable?

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Sledge

Indeed Osia... I have a few myself. Although the labels are in rough shape, the bottle on the left is a 1940. Just thought I'd share.

Well J.P., glad ya made it here, what else ya got to show us.................................I see a box full.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
The ULTIMATE ACL bottle in my "personal opinion" is a broken one. I just don't like the looks of them. Just like some people hate the color puce. Same deal.

60miller

Reaction score
Since this bottle was actually put into production, unlike the pink Pepsi's made a wheaton, this Pepsi could be argued either way about being a prototype. In fact I know someone with two pink Pepsi bottles that he, a Wheaton worker , acquired that were on Wheaton's sample shelf. These two pink pepsi's are not labeled with wheaton sample labels, but he didn't get these two out of the dumpster like the mass find of 38 or so pink pepsi's that hit the market in the early 1990's. Are these prototypes?
It could be called a prototype because it is the only one with the factory label. It could also be called a salesman sample as potential clients could enter the glass factory and view there production pieces. But I prefer to call it the Factory shelf specimen. It's a matter of symantics. Whitall Tatum, Armstrong glass had archival storage of there glass. I do know that many insulators which never saw production were stored away without being labeled, but production records saved from the trash confirmed there existance. One such story is Told by Joe Maurath, Jr, in Crown Jewels of the Wire, a young insulator collector from the late 1960's who wrote Armstrong to acquire some oddball pieces. Others were saved by the shop employees in charge of archival storage. Others may have been given away to whoever wanted them. This glass factory was America's oldest continuous glass house in production for 193 years. Other glass houses may have similar labeling on their bottles, but I am not familiar with their glass production.
It is what it is the Factory shelf sample bottle for Pepsi from Armstrong Cork at the Whitall Tatum factory.

green dragon

Reaction score
Regardless - unless I misread the topic of this thread - re: * ACL * bottles... the Pepsis are not ACL anyways, so moot to the entire theme of these posts ?

OsiaBoyce

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: green dragon

Regardless - unless I misread the topic of this thread - re: * ACL * bottles... the Pepsis are not ACL anyways, so moot to the entire theme of these posts ?

Sooooooo you must want to be a moderator?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR