What is this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ironmountain

Reaction score
This is at the site of the 1800's hotel we're exploring. I don't think this is part of the foundation as the flush to the ground cement from the foundation is clearly visible and easily followed. This sites behind the foundation.

we found clay pipe on both sides of it while digging. The top layer we dug was this grey sand looking stuff and continued down until we hit the clay pipe roughly 2' down . We followed the pipe on the close side in the pic and ended up under a 4'x8' rectangle of cement and then more clay pipe from that to a 4'x8' (roughly) concrete sleeve with a concrete bottom that was flush to the ground.

We also followed the clay pipe from the far side (in the pics) and we found hunks of clay pipe to the edge of the hill (20' away) and on the ground at the side of the hill some clay pipe ends.

So wondering what this thing is.

We busted the rock out and the top layer of cement. It was getting late so we had to run and didn't get a chance to bang the slab at ground level all the way. We did have an 8' iron ice spud with us that we used to pry and it was hollow underneath as far as we could tell by sliding the spud in there.

567A615654214A4EBEDF97CC23518602.jpg

Attachments

• 567A615654214A4EBEDF97CC23518602.jpg
    567A615654214A4EBEDF97CC23518602.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 61

rpinkham

Reaction score
As a wild guess, it may be where one would dismount from a carriage. Not sure about any pipes nearby...

tigue710

Reaction score
I'd call it a big chunky waste of time, but you never know... Sounds like its part of some type of gray water drainage or possibly even septic. How did you date the hotel to the 1800's? What ever this is probably dates to the 1930's.

ironmountain

Reaction score
Tigue- The town was founded in 1885 due to a new lumbermill being built. The hotel was built shortly after. Around 1891 according to books at the library. I also have a pic of a bunkhouse behind the hotel that dates to 1900. the town was later moved to it's current location due to mills being built right next to the RR.

This cement thing would have been in the "backyard" of the hotel.

we'll probably end up opening it up to see wth it is when we go later this week. thx for the replies.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
It looks like a simple footing to me. Maybe a porch, column or even a shed. Are there more than one?

ironmountain

Reaction score
cow, nope just the one. the foundation for the hotel is 15-20' away from it. I'll get better pics of the area when we go this week and if we get the chance to crack it open, i'll get some pics of that.
First thought was a corner support for the building. but being behind the hotel and the only one and not having the same characteristics as the footing for the hotel was very puzzling. The footing for the hotel looks like smooth rock and it's flush to the ground and exposed. All we found while digging the ground in that area were the clay shards, some cedar and shards of what looks like window glass. If the rain would stop, I'd bike back to the library and look at the sanborn maps to see what's listed there.

thx for the replies everyone!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229