what kind of metal detector to buy?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

toddrandolph

Reaction score
I know there was a post about this a long time ago on here, but I don't know if anything has changed since then. A friend let me borrow a pioneer 101 bounty hunter detector which I know is a cheap model. So far I have found a 1956 silver quarter and about 1.50 in change in my yard. I would like to buy something a little better, from looking online it looks like a Garrett Ace 250 or 350 is a decent one and can be had for around $300 which is about what I'm looking to spend. What I've noticed so far is that the discriminator does not work well with large pieces of iron and steel, which are in abundance in my yard as this was originally a big farm. Aluminum sounds about the same to me as coins. So, I would be looking to get something that discriminates a little better, as I imagine most of the places I will be detecting will have a lot of trash items. Also the coins I have found are all in the top few inches of soil, and I suspect there is older stuff deeper that I'm not picking up. Any recommendations from those that are experienced would be appreciated.

ironmountain

Reaction score
many people love the Tesoro Compadre..can be had for about 160bucks. (prices won't be different, or shouldn't be different anywhere. They have a MAP that people need to stick to or they get their hands slapped) supposedly awesome on gold/silver/coins because of the frequency. very good machine. great discrimination. made in USA, lifetime warranty. doesn't look like much at all, but I know guys who have 1400 dollar machines who will use this MD when hunting parks and old homes for jewelry/coins etc.. Get that and a Garrett ProPointer and a really good digger (ames garden tool or a lesch) and you'll find some great stuff. here's a link to the forum I'm on and what ppl say about it....

Not trying to push a single brand. The Fisher F2 is very sensitive (too sens. for mineralized soil). Many ppl love the Garrett 250..I can't stand the color and the bell tones of that thing. it'd cause me to have a psychotic break. When I first got mine, my friend was the only other MD guy in town and he runs a 1400$ etrac. Speaking at length with him and cruising reviews and forums, the F2 was the best option at the time because I didn't want to get a non display machine. After having this one for a few years, I rarely look at the display. I can tell by the tones what I'm "most likely" going to pull up.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=87892

I use a Fisher F2 for now. Good machine, just not up here where I have very mineralized soil.

My next machine will either be a Tesoro Vaquero or Tesoro Tejon. both do what way more expensive machines do..for about 1/2 the price. I have a 2box detector that I'll be using this coming summer at the farm. Copper Country is full of...copper. I hit a copper signal at the farm and even after raising the coil of my f2 above my head it still rang up the exact same copper tone/signal. 3' down, still couldn't find it...so the 2box is coming out as soon as the ground is thawed.

To get back to the topic, I'd suggest the Tesoro Compadre. 160$ for the machine, 110 for the pro pointer (which you'll want..believe me) and 15-40 for a digger. This way, you can spend little money for a great machine. If you decide to upgrade or dislike the hobby, the Compadre has a very solid resale value.

Hope I helped.

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Thanks ironmountain, that's exactly what I was looking for...an opinion from someone with lots of experience. I can see that digging up silver coins is just as much fun as finding bottles, so this is something I'll be doing occasionally. I would probably be hunting mostly my yard and abandoned house sites, so these areas will all have lots of trash and big iron pieces. I think the parks and schools and other public places would be a waste of time unless you have a top of the line detector because there are a LOT of metal detector people around here. I used to live next to an old school and there was someone detecting at least once a week if not more. Because it's my house, I'm interested in the non valuable stuff too, I've found lots of cast iron pieces probably from implements and kettles, sad iron, ash shovel and a lot of stuff I can't identify. Surprisingly, I have not found a single pulltab yet. This house was built in 1870 so I know there is more silver here.

antlerman23

Reaction score
I have an ace 250 and I HATE it!!! it is really bad! which sucks because I am stuck with it. [&:]
with what ironmountain said, I might be getting a compadre or silver umax.
the problem with the ace 250 is that the signal is either all or nothing. its not a quiet beep for a deep/small target, just a sporadic beep.
and when you swing over junk, the "belltones" are all over. iron foil dollar iron dime penny dime penny foil iron no beep iron... then you dig up a bottle cap. [:mad:]
so I cant tell you anything beyond DONT YET AN ACE!!! in my opinion, they suck azz.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I would suggest buying a used machine if on a tight budget. I have used the Compadre and F2, not the Aces and dont think they will provide you with much more than you have. The Tesoro brand is a good one,great if you are digging relics and willing to dig alot of trash. If you are looking to just detect one site primarily a rental or better machine on loan may be a better option.

appliedlips

Reaction score
In the $300 range,if willing to take the risk of used you could get a machine capable of finding stuff in the heavily hunted places you speak. The older Minelab Explorers, Whites, midrange Fishers and Tesoros could all be had. The old Explorer II, though dated are not far behind the $1000+ etracs with performance. Less bells and whistles but will outperform almost any machine $800 or less sold today by any brand.

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Antlerman I totally agree with you about the ACE 250. My dad and I had it for 2 years and went over about 10 to 15 yards. The last 5 years my dad and I have had Tesoros and they are awesome. We went back over those yards and you wouldn't believe the silver and the old coins we missed. Not to rip on the ACE 250 because it does find the coins but it is not very reliable. Hint- Tesoros are not that expensive but they are extremely nice machines. My dad and I have dug up alot of stuff with them over the years.

ironmountain

Reaction score
thanks for saying you don't like the 250..
If you want to spend the 300 fully on a MD. I agree with applied..i'd go used. you can probably get a Tesoro Vaquero for 300.. that's about the best machine for the money out there right now. runs about 450-460 new... great for relics, great for coins and jewelry and very good in mineralized areas. It'll do what machines 2x the cost will do... I hate to sound like I'm just pushing Tesoro.
White's/Minelab/Tech/Fisher are all good machines also...
the one thing you will definitely want to have is a good pinpointer..the Garrett ProPointer is considered the best out there and that'll set you back 100bucks.
The Tesoro Silver uMax is great too..runs 250ish.
for the 300 price limit your best bet for a new md:
Teknetics Delta 4000...pretty much a Fisher F2.
Tesoro Compadre
Tesoro Silver uMax
Fisher F2
Garrett Ace250.

If you let me know when you decide, ppl on the forum I'm on can contact sellers directly and they will usually provide nice discounts or throw "gowiths" into the mix..

I'd just do some google searches too.... you'll find a bunch of info if you google "best metal detector under 300' etc..

Bottleworm

Reaction score
Yes Tesoros are good. The Metal Detecting club we are in don't like my dad and I. They have all White's and Minelabs. And we have stupid Tesoros. To bad those Tesoros have kept up with them almost everytime we have our detecting meeting and club hunts. My dad uses a Tejon and I use a DeLeon and they are pretty decent machines and can keep up with the fancy $1000 machines.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bearybottlebaby1776