What to do about original contents?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
I need advice on four bottles I purchased at a thrift store.
They still have the original corks and some of the original contents in them, as well as part of the labels. I think having the stuff that came in the bottles is supposed to make them more valuable, but it's really disgusting slimy stuff. [:'(]

I do not have the whole label on any one of the bottles, but I pieced together what it says:

Ever Gloss
=========================
The newest and best preparation for
renewing pianos and the finest of fur-
nature. It will remove scratches and
bad spots immediately. Can also be
used on all stained, grained, and
enameled work.

--------------------------------
Manufactured by the
Ever Gloss Polish Co.
Buffalo, N. Y.
PRICE - 25 CENTS
DIRECTIONS
Shake well before using.
Apply with a cotton or other soft cloth,
rubbing all parts thoroughly after
polish is applied

I need to know what to do with the original "furniture polish" stuff. It is all over the inside of the bottles, and I think they would look much nicer if I took it out. I don't want to do that unless I'm certain I should, though.

To wash or not to wash, that is the question. [:D]

Reaction score
Photos

Here are some photos for clarification.

Front View:
bottles.jpg

Side View:
side_view.jpg

Label Close-up:
label.jpg

digdug

Reaction score
I agree with you, I always like taking out the gunk and crud out of my bottles. But, I take a few precautions when I do it. First, I would do it outside away from any pilot lights, etc. I am sure it is a petroleum based product since it is a furniture polish. After this many years the fumes will be strong! I would even wear gloves and eye protection.
The other problem is getting cork out. I have used a cork screw before, but I've also broken a bottle or two using it. You may be able to whittle it out a piece at a time. Cleaning is just a matter of being very careful that you don't get labels wet, etc. And-you can't just dump any kind of cleaning agent into it, it could cause a chemical reaction. Soap and water would be best to start out with. I am speaking from past experience! I found out about the pilot light the hard way when I was 12 years old. And the chemical reaction at 13! So- be careful and post an 'after' cleaning photo!

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I'm fairly new to bottle collecting, past experiences are always the best way to learn what NOT to do.

So, you think I should clean the yuck out? I just wanted to be sure that I wouldn't be dumping away the value of the bottles, but I didn't think anyone would pay more for all that goop inside them. [:D]

Reaction score
Does anyone have any idea on what the age and rarity of these bottles is?
I looked up "Ever Gloss Polish Co" on Google, but I couldn't find anything on the company -- just nail polish. [sm=rolleyes.gif]

Any info would be appreciated.

bne74honda

Reaction score
Hey Living,

I really don't think you'll find anyone that considers the original contents of a 40 to 150 year old bottle to be of any real value, except perhaps a vintage, unopened wine etc.

In nearly all cases the contents will have become useless if not toxic and will detract from the overall appearance of the bottle. We clean the bottles so we can see the beauty and unique qualities of a forgone art.

Just follow precautions and be sure that the contents are well diluted and neutral before dumping them.

Brian

madman

Reaction score
yo the labels are already bad dont mess with them mike

Reaction score
Brian, thanks for the info. I just thought I remembered reading that having the origanal contents would add to the value of the bottles. I'm actually glad it doesn't, because it's really gross stuff, and I want to dump it!

Mike, you're right about the labels - I've had to re-attach peices of them already. (I use milk for that.)

Does anyone have suggestions on how to clean the bottles without harming the labels? I obviously can't soak them, or use any normal cleaning methods that I know of.

-Erik

whiskeyman

Reaction score
To an archaeologist every piece, no matter how small, is part of the puzzle.

ahem...having said that from my own thoughts, let me now quote what Marian Klamkin said about Charles B. Gardner back in 1976-77 when they were auctioning his 35 year collection of flasks and bottles:

"Charley was astute enough not to remove labels, or, when the bottles still held their original contents, not to wash them out.
Therefore, the large collection of bitters and medicine bottles was an excellent study collection for the identification of many of the bottles, and the Gardner collection was used frequently by collectors and writers. The presence of the labels made it possible to identify otherwise anonymous bottles that were made with no embossments."

whiskeyman

Reaction score
ERIK...wrap them in saran wrap before washing...should keep the labels dry.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75