What was that first bottle you found that got you hooked?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

glass man

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DIGGER DAVE

Davis Vegetable was the first bottle I fell in love with !!
Very common I know but I still love any bottle with a " Davis " lip. Also no matter how many I dig I cant get myself to part with them. I enjoy comparing the differences between them !!! 8 MORE WEEKS TO HEAVEN GUYS !!! Best of luck to all !!!!!!!
8 MORE WEEKS TO HEAVEN? I AM READY!!! HAS THE LORD TOLD YOU SOMETHING HE AIN'T TOLD ME?[:-]

Poison_Us

Reaction score
My wife and I's addiction didn't come from a find. It came from a episode of Cash & Treasures on the travel channel. They did an antique bottle episode and that did it. Our fist bottle we got was a British poison, some clear commons and a lot of inks. I'm not sure which one was actually first. But we settled on poisons (American mostly) as we really like skulls. So it was a good match for us. This was 2 years ago. We have sense ventured a bit into medicines (Poison's yang) but we don't know nearly as much about them as we do about poisons. But now with me being unemployed and going to school, money is real tight, but yet we keep looking [:-] Our collection now spans around 90 bottles of all sorts. We have a near complete set of KU-17s. Anyone have the 8"? Didnt think so. But we have the other 4 sizes. It's one of my wife's prize items in the collection (along with her KO-1) and the few english poisons we own.
When we get the new hutch, I will photo document all our bottles and perhaps post them here.

willong

Reaction score
Hey Buster,

The Paul Jones is a common whiskey, but I have always been particularly fond of its form and porportions. I fellow soldier in basic at Fort Ord, CA, in 1971 told me that he had recently (then) found one lying in the open desert north of Ely, NV.

I probably shot up some collectible bottles while rabbit hunting in Southern California sage and chaparral country as a kid--used to encounter dumps in gullies and washes (I remember rummaging through an old discarded steamer trunk in one gully that was full of musty books with copyright dates in the late 1800's).

Later, while a student at University of Alaska, Fairbanks, I watched a roommate pack old bottles in a crate full of popcorn (the real stuff--not styrofoam), so he could ship them home to his sister in Ohio. He'd just picked the bottles up from the ground at Fox, which was a virtual ghost town back then. When I ask him why he was going to all the expense and trouble, he told me that the bottles were valuable.

About a year later, I was returning to camp near Loomis, WA, after a hot and uneventful morning of deer hunting in a public hunting area. I stumbled upon an old amber whisky bottle lying right out in an open field near the campground. I picked it up and found that the neck was crooked, the thickness of the glass was uneven, there were bubbles throughout the glass, and there were no mold seams. Wow! A handmade bottle, I thought. These things are worth money! Another fun and potentially profitable thing to do while prowling through the woods. When I got back to Western Washington, I started looking for old bottles in the woods near some property that my dad had bought near Arlington, an area that had alot of logging activity TOC. I found enough to get me interested, and I learned that my whiskey was a turn mold (more properly, a turned-in-the-mold) bottle. I never did find any bottles to sell, because I used any duplicates that I found as trading stock to acquire more bottles--(if my memory serves, one of the items I acquired in trade was a sample-size Paul Jones).

To echo a common theme, slick though it be, I still treasure that first antique bottle in my collection. Now, if I could just get my butt out there to do some bottle hunting again.

Regards to all you other addicts,

Will

photolitherland

Reaction score
First bottle I ever found (below), wasnt even looking for em, nor did I know anything about em. Now Im hooked. I found it just walking in a creek looking for some fossils. Later I would find that it was a Hutchinson bottle, a broken one but still nice since it has the towns name on it where I live. That was about 6 months ago and now I have a full fledged collection, about 150 bottles, and spend every waking hour thinking about bottles and where I can find the next big bottle gold mine lol.

3744950954_9acf771e01_o.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles