What was that first bottle you found that got you hooked?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

adshepard

Reaction score
So what was the first bottle you found that got you hooked? Mine was this nice Dr. Manly Hardy's - Jaundice Bitters - Bangor, ME that I pulled from the waters of Eastport, Maine. Haven't found something as good since but I've been plenty happy with what I have found.

Alan

C067B6FDB8734D88805BB90428558401.jpg

Attachments

• C067B6FDB8734D88805BB90428558401.jpg
    C067B6FDB8734D88805BB90428558401.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 61

Jim

Reaction score
Mine was a common small-size clear Vapo-Cresolene poison. It was lying right on the ground along the river. I was 11 years old. To this day, it's worth maybe $5 on a good day, but it got me hooked! I still have it. When I find those things today, I often give them away, but that first one will always be special. ~Jim

wvhillbilly

Reaction score
Mine was an old Schmulbach Brewing Co bottle I found in the yard, I had found some ACLs before that but they never quite hooked me.

bearswede

Reaction score
The bottles that stand out from my diggin days (back in the early '70's), are:

Bogles Hyperion Fluid For The Hair
Cardinal inks
C.A Richards (unlabled bitters)
Congress & Empire Spring (Saratoga M.W.)

Ron

tiqhuntr

Reaction score
Hey Bear; We must be close to the same age. My "hook" was in '68. I was helping my father paint his house, 15th of August. I had killed 4 squirrels that morning and told him I wanted to run out to the edge of town and complete my limit of 5 and be back to help. There was a huge hickory in the front of the woods that always had squirrels in it so that is where I headed. One was cutting on a nut and as I was backing around looking up I heard a crunch that sounded like glass. I glanced down and there was this blue bottle. After getting the squirrel I decided to take the bottle and see if he would like it. It was a strong cobalt open pontil with ground glass stopper. There was some others so I added them to the game bag and headed home. Dad was 15 foot up the ladder painting the eave when I sad "Dad check out this old bottle I just found". He came down the ladder faster than any squirrel I have ever seen unassing a tree. Painting was over and we went to the site and dug it out that day. I am hooked for life. Don't dig much any more, but since I have found this site I am getting the bug again.

capsoda

Reaction score
Back in 67 or 68 I found an amber chemical bottle and a Real McCoy oiler cup. Shortly after a dam broke on a lake near by and revealed bottles from one end to the other from 1930s back to the early 1800s.

bottlenutboy

Reaction score
the ones that got me werent mine and were found in the 70's they were my uncles he brought some to my house for some reason or other and i just fell in love they are mostly commons he had about 250 then and now he has more than that that was in 2005 so im still a "newbie" i guess but i know more than the average bear because in all that time i have dedicated my whole life to research and trying to find more i have learned a very huge portion of what is known about crown soda's which is where my real passion lies although i do collect other things that i find interesting

madman

Reaction score
ithink it was a fletchers castoria and a sauders extract sticking straight up out of the ground mike

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles