what year is my seagrams bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

monsterdigger

Reaction score
I live in illinois and I cant seem to find anyone interested in bottle collecting??????maybe its because im new to the hobby...........anyway I found an old blocked off trail in the woods and at the end of the trail was 2 old foundations that looked like houses. I started sifting through the leaves and saw many old broken bottles everywere. Just west of the first foundation on the other side of the trail i saw a hole in the ground, it was rectangle and made of brick and a pipe sticking out of one wall of the hole, it was about 3' X 4' , any idea what that could have been? Good place to dig? Anyway I made my way towards the other foundation, and this one was really hidden by the trees, i kicked some leaves away and saw a bottle sticking out of the ground, i pulled the bottle out of the ground and saw it was a whiskey/flask shapped bottle. On the front of the bottle it was embossed: Federal law forbids re-use or re-sale, and on the bottom it is embossed:jos seagrams & sons ltd, under that was: canada, and than under that it says: made in usa. The bottle to me does not look too old maybe 60's 70's, but i was told if a bottle is embossed with that federal law thingy it was made between 1933-1970. what year is this bottle, any takers? Anyone want to come dig with me?

youngpup

Reaction score
The hole you found was made to melt something...i forget what...i'll find out for you if you'd like. Go to the "Looking for Digging Partners section and see if anyone is from IL. The segrams bottle isn't probably that old...but you'll have to do research to find out for sure. Go to a search engine and search on old segrams bottles.
Good luck on your bottle digging! Keep me updated on your finds![:D]

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Hey, how big was the pipe. A large pipe could be a vent for a privy or cistern; a small pipe may have been a well. I don't think round hole was a given for either. A vent was more likely but not out the side of the hole though if the pipe was 4†or bigger. Just a thought from me.

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Jacob The only way to tell for sure what the hole was for is to dig it out. Dig, dig, dig.[sm=lol.gif] Then tell us what you find.[:)]

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi monsterdigger, does you bottle have any bottle maker marks? are there any # on the bottle , most bottles like that have 2#S that represents a year. good luck on your finds, rhona

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks