What's the deal, why all but worthless?!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I’ve been a collector of commemorative soft drink bottles since 1974 when I pulled a Notre Dame 7up bottle for the 1973 National Champs out of the empties rack at the grocery store I worked at in high school. Found a few more, and a lifetime hobby was born. I love collecting soda bottles and will never give up on it, or at least until I’m no longer able.

I’ve never had a problem with buying bottles and never have looked at my hobby as an investment. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and also love the hunt. I’ve been told it’s better to focus on the “good” stuff and not try to collect a lot but I’ve never really cared about that. If I like a bottle, I’ll get it unless it’s priced way over my head. Also, I’ve made a lot of lifelong friends in this hobby, and that means more to me than the glass on the shelf.

Over the years, I’ve noticed a sharp decline in all types of soda bottles. I’ve not been a member here for very long but looks like most don’t collect commemoratives, I’ll be the first to admit it’s a very small segment of the hobby. I started with ACL’s a few years ago and can often pick up what I consider the “good” bottles a lot cheaper the past couple years than before. In a good way I partially blame eBay, but often will find bottles on there I never knew existed or would never see locally. And what was once considered scarce in my part of the country was in good supply somewhere else. Others have commented on the cost of postage, I’ll pass on a bottle if it’s the only one a person has listed due to the cost of shipping unless it’s something I consider rare for the collection. I learned a long time ago to just walk away and leave it on the shelf or on the web site as it will almost always turn up someplace else later.

On eBay I’ll see the same bottles over and that are priced in the hundreds of dollars range. Have to wonder if anyone actually pays $500 for an ACL bottle? It may be worth that but I have a tough time justifying it. I’ll try to work out a trade or just pass.

When I started collecting in the 1970s there was the World Wide Commemorative Soft Drink Bottle Club in Sidney, Ohio ran by a man named Homer Hughes. He’d travel to pick up a new commemorative and try to get 25-30 cases for the membership. When I joined, I was member number 574 and it was a very active group, with a regular newsletter announcing new bottles. Homer would come up with just about anything in his travels and I made several trips over there and would bring back 3-4 cases of new bottles each time. The club folded years ago and Homer passed a short time later.

Another collector, Harold Davisson in Seward, Nebraska was a major collector and dealer in bottles on the side. I visited him in the 1990s and he had hundreds of cases for sale. Harold is gone now too and I have no idea what became of his collection. He also built the World’s largest Time Capsule in Seward in 1975 and it’s due to be opened in 2025. I’m going to do my best to be there, as there was a bottle issued for it and I’ve always wanted to see what the 1975 Chevrolet Vega that was placed in there will look like fifty years later.

In the mid 1970s interest remained high with commemorative bottles, I’ve got well over 100 that salute the nation’s bicentennial alone. Today, you still see these bottles for sale as thousands were made, supply and demand. There are a lot of very limited issue commemorative bottles out there and collectors still actively seek them, most issued prior to the mid 1980s and tough to find. But, as the soda companies started moving away from glass the commemorative bottles dried up as well. Today, Coca-Cola issues a lot of the 8 oz. Hobbleskirt bottles but a lot of collectors don’t mess with them. Cost for a six pack is around $6, and sometimes thousands of cases are made. For the most part, the graphics look cheap and these bottles will never be worth anything. For years Coca-Cola issued NASCAR series drivers on both a regional or national basis and millions of these bottles are floating around. I’ll often see them in malls and flea markets for some silly price. A hundred years from now if there still antique malls there will probably be NASCAR Coca-Cola bottles on a shelf with an asking price of $10. There are always a few bottles Coca-Cola issues in very limited quantity for internal events that collectors actively seek and often variations of these will show up too, a color missing or a different color, etc. I’ve got friends who collect these and I’ll bring bottles back from a trip for them. It’s all good; we all collect what we like.

I’ve got two of the three Collecting Applied Color Label Soda Bottle books written by Rick Sweeney in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Excellent books with thousands of pictures and realized prices, but the past few years I’ve found several bottles that were listed as either very rare or extremely rare for less than $5 each. There a lot of ACL’s that will always hold their values just like a some of the commemoratives but it seems that by and large prices have hit bottom or getting there.

I’ve thought for years that it’s an older person’s hobby and a lot of collectors are either selling or passing away. I’m a member of the state chapter of the Coca-Cola Collectors Club and we’ve had five long time members pass away within the last three years. The chapter tries to hold six meetings a year in member’s houses but with COVID we had no meetings in 2020 and none scheduled so far this year. We’ve attended a lot of regional Coca-Cola collector conventions over the years, some are no longer and the conventions that are still active seem to have a lot less attendees each year. In the 1980s we loved going to Elizabethtown, KY for Septemberfest and two hotels would be full of Coca-Cola collectors. This get-together ended years ago, but a lot of great memories. Give it another ten years and there may not be any more conventions to go to.

The better bottles seem to be in private collections and won’t come to market until the end. We try to visit a lot of antique malls and flea markets over the course of the summer and by and large it’s the same things everyplace. Common bottles with case wear marked to sell or common bottles priced way to high. And if we go back a year later, they’re still on the shelf. Once in a great while might find something but it’s few and far between. Bottle shows still have nice bottles but not that many in my area to go to.

We don’t have any children, my wife has several nieces and nephews, and they’ve been over and seen my collection. They look and say its neat then get back on their smart phones, no interest whatsoever in collecting not just bottles but anything else. When I’m gone, my collection will probably wind up in an estate sale and go for next to nothing like most other sales go.

Interesting Story, Thanks.

Nickneff

Reaction score
What are these worth, $2 or $3 apiece? What?! Are you kidding me?! WHY?! I know that I could put them on eBay for BIN $10 and they would just sit there! They are old, they are gorgeous, they are Americana, they are not everywhere you look! So, why, tell me why they're all but worthless. Don't rich people collect old sodas? Just the poor? Is this the answer?
View attachment 186374
The first green bottle is that a Epping looks like it is that's a nice collection of sodas

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
... Bottle shows still have nice bottles but not that many in my area to go to. But it's still the thrill of the hunt that keeps us looking and anticipating what lies in the booth in the next aisle.
I went to the Jackson MS show held January 23 and there were lots of soda collectors and tables set up. Those tables looked like they were among the busiest.

I think the greatest problem in all segments of bottle collecting is the folks who put way too much focus on just bottles. The real treasure is the people and the friendships. People who are blind to this are why the hobby will suffer. No one likes these types and they are a true poison. Bottles are fun, but they are just stuff. I have befriended many new collectors/diggers in my small effort to keep the hobby strong. None of these collect the kind of bottles that I collect, but I am truly interested in them and their collecting efforts. Mostly I am interested in encouraging them and in their welfare.

Jimmy Langford

Reaction score
A lot of these look like 1940s Art Deco sodas. I prefer 1920s and 1930s Art Deco sodas. True they are pretty, but just kind of too modern for me and I’m not the most attracted to 1940s bottles in general. Most of the time I don’t like the dotted pattern on 1940– bottles. Enough of me. There ARE people who truly do collect these and would like to have them or would gladly sell them. $5 sounds good for each one of these except the aqua looks like it might run at $10. Some nice bottles you have.

cokemanracer

Commemorative Soft Drink bottles, all brands, ACLs
Reaction score
I went to the Jackson MS show held January 23 and there were lots of soda collectors and tables set up. Those tables looked like they were among the busiest.

I think the greatest problem in all segments of bottle collecting is the folks who put way too much focus on just bottles. The real treasure is the people and the friendships. People who are blind to this are why the hobby will suffer. No one likes these types and they are a true poison. Bottles are fun, but they are just stuff. I have befriended many new collectors/diggers in my small effort to keep the hobby strong. None of these collect the kind of bottles that I collect, but I am truly interested in them and their collecting efforts. Mostly I am interested in encouraging them and in their welfare.

I totally agree, I've made a lot of lifelong friendships that I wouldn't trade for anything. We help each other find bottles and keep an eye out for things they may collect that I don't, attend weddings and funerals and just enjoy their company at conventions and shows. I made a trip to Texas last fall with a good friend and we delivered several cases of bottles. Traveled through parts of seven states in five days, stopped at a lot of flea markets and malls and found a couple cases of bottles along the way. Sometimes you find something, sometimes not but it's still fun.

Bad3555

Reaction score

I’ve been a collector of commemorative soft drink bottles since 1974 when I pulled a Notre Dame 7up bottle for the 1973 National Champs out of the empties rack at the grocery store I worked at in high school. Found a few more, and a lifetime hobby was born. I love collecting soda bottles and will never give up on it, or at least until I’m no longer able.

I’ve never had a problem with buying bottles and never have looked at my hobby as an investment. I get a lot of enjoyment out of it and also love the hunt. I’ve been told it’s better to focus on the “good” stuff and not try to collect a lot but I’ve never really cared about that. If I like a bottle, I’ll get it unless it’s priced way over my head. Also, I’ve made a lot of lifelong friends in this hobby, and that means more to me than the glass on the shelf.

Over the years, I’ve noticed a sharp decline in all types of soda bottles. I’ve not been a member here for very long but looks like most don’t collect commemoratives, I’ll be the first to admit it’s a very small segment of the hobby. I started with ACL’s a few years ago and can often pick up what I consider the “good” bottles a lot cheaper the past couple years than before. In a good way I partially blame eBay, but often will find bottles on there I never knew existed or would never see locally. And what was once considered scarce in my part of the country was in good supply somewhere else. Others have commented on the cost of postage, I’ll pass on a bottle if it’s the only one a person has listed due to the cost of shipping unless it’s something I consider rare for the collection. I learned a long time ago to just walk away and leave it on the shelf or on the web site as it will almost always turn up someplace else later.

On eBay I’ll see the same bottles over and over that are priced in the hundreds of dollars range. Have to wonder if anyone actually pays $500 for an ACL bottle? It may be worth that but I have a tough time justifying it. I’ll try to work out a trade or just pass.

When I started collecting in the 1970s there was the World Wide Commemorative Soft Drink Bottle Club in Sidney, Ohio ran by a man named Homer Hughes. He’d travel to pick up a new commemorative and try to get 25-30 cases for the membership. When I joined, I was member number 574 and it was a very active group, with a regular newsletter announcing new bottles. Homer would come up with just about anything in his travels and I made several trips over there and would bring back 3-4 cases of new bottles each time. The club folded years ago and Homer passed a short time later.

Another collector, Harold Davisson in Seward, Nebraska was a major collector and dealer in bottles on the side. I visited him in the 1990s and he had hundreds of cases for sale. Harold is gone now too and I have no idea what became of his collection. He also built the World’s largest Time Capsule in Seward in 1975 and it’s due to be opened in 2025. I’m going to do my best to be there, as there was a bottle issued for it and I’ve always wanted to see what the 1975 Chevrolet Vega that was placed in there will look like fifty years later.

In the mid 1970s interest remained high with commemorative bottles, I’ve got well over 100 that salute the nation’s bicentennial alone. Today, you still see these bottles for sale as thousands were made, supply and demand. There are a lot of very limited issue commemorative bottles out there and collectors still actively seek them, most issued prior to the mid 1980s and tough to find. But, as the soda companies started moving away from glass the commemorative bottles dried up as well.

Today, Coca-Cola issues a lot of the 8 oz. Hobbleskirt bottles but a lot of collectors don’t mess with them. Cost for a six pack is around $6, and sometimes thousands of cases are made. For the most part, the graphics look cheap and these bottles will never be worth anything. For years Coca-Cola issued NASCAR series drivers on both a regional or national basis and millions of these bottles are floating around. I’ll often see them in malls and flea markets for some silly price. A hundred years from now if there are still antique malls there will probably be NASCAR Coca-Cola bottles on a shelf with an asking price of $10. There are always a few bottles Coca-Cola issues in very limited quantity for internal events that collectors actively seek and often variations of these will show up too, a color missing or a different color, etc. I’ve got friends who collect these and I’ll bring bottles back from a trip for them. It’s all good; we all collect what we like.

I’ve got two of the three Collecting Applied Color Label Soda Bottle books written by Rick Sweeney in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Excellent books with thousands of pictures and realized prices, but the past few years I’ve found several bottles that were listed as either very rare or extremely rare for less than $5 each. There are a lot of ACL’s that will always hold their values just like a some of the commemoratives but it seems that by and large prices have hit bottom or getting there.

I’ve thought for years that it’s an older person’s hobby and a lot of collectors are either selling or passing away. I’m a member of our state chapter of the Coca-Cola Collectors Club and we’ve had five long time members pass away within the last three years. The chapter tries to hold six meetings a year in member’s houses but with COVID we had no meetings in 2020 and none scheduled so far this year. We’ve attended a lot of regional Coca-Cola collector conventions over the years, some are no longer and the conventions that are still active seem to have less attendees each year. In the 1980s we loved going to Elizabethtown, KY for Septemberfest and two hotels would be full of Coca-Cola collectors. This get-together ended years ago, but a lot of great memories. Give it another ten years and there may not be any more conventions to go to.

The better bottles seem to be in private collections and won’t come to market until the end. We try to visit a lot of antique malls and flea markets over the course of the summer and by and large it’s the same things everyplace. Common bottles with case wear marked to sell or common bottles priced way too high. And if we go back a year later, they’re still on the shelf. Once in a great while might find something tough but it’s few and far between. Bottle shows still have nice bottles but not that many in my area to go to. But it's still the thrill of the hunt that keeps us looking and anticipating what lies in the booth in the next aisle.

We don’t have any children, my wife has several nieces and nephews, and they’ve been over and seen my collection. They look and say its neat then get back on their smart phones, no interest whatsoever in collecting not just bottles but anything else. When I’m gone, my collection will probably wind up in an estate sale and go for next to nothing like most other sales go.
Thank you sir, for your reminisces and insights on collecting. I thoroughly enjoyed everything you had to say on the subject. I noticed you enjoy collecting commemorative bottles. I've recently have been trying to roundup all the '76 Bicentennial 32oz NDNR 7ups. Unfortunately I can only find them on Ebay, so I am paying more than I want, but that's OK. My questions are (1) How many did they make? (2) Do you have a picture of the carton/carrier they came in? I've got 6 and working on a 7th. My thoughts are they're probably only 6 original 1776 and the Oklahoma bottle is from another set. I'd sure like your perspective on all of this if you have time. I'll post pics of what I have, Thanks!

Attachments

• Presidents.png
    Presidents.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
  • DSCN1401.JPG
    DSCN1401.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 53
  • Hist.jpg
    Hist.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Oklahoma.jpg
    Oklahoma.jpg
    412.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Bad3555

Reaction score
Bad3555, I collect them also. Here is what I have. I don't know if there is anymore. I have not seen any different ones than I have. Also 16oz embossed and SCL.View attachment 244284View attachment 244285View attachment 244286
Thanks, @iggyworf , I was getting ready to send you a PM and ask you about all this! Ha! Do you have any idea what the carton looked like? Also I think I may have a 32oz you don't have , it's an American flag back (Not the Betsy Ross) Check out my pic of the four above. You reall have a great collection BTW! Evert time I look at your pics, I see something new! Thanks for the post!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583