What's this.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shawnd11

Reaction score
Sorry about last post, forgot to add picture.

Was wondering about the line in this bottle. It's glass (not glue) but I was wondering if it's a repair someone did or if it's how the bottle was made or is a seam? There are no seams anywhere else and it doesn't extend to the bottom side. The bottle has what looks like an 'A' or arrow type symbol on the bottom. (I know nothing about antique bottles.) Any other information anyone could give would be great. age, etc........Thanks

Db86319.jpg

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Db86319.jpg
    Db86319.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 74

diggerjeff

Reaction score
the bottle is called a "case gin". the trail of glass you see is a mistake that happened when the botttle was made. that bottle dates to 1870 or so.

diginit

Reaction score
Hey Dj,
Aren't case gins like this kinda pricy? And would this factory defect increase or decrease it's value to a collector? I think it gives the bottle great character.

grimdigger1

Reaction score
You can pick up unembossed gins like this in the UK for under $3.00 ,,they become more desireable when embossed with names or pictorial trademarks,,

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I agree with grimdigger !
These are super common here in the States in the unembossed variant . I have seen these plain jane Gins at Bottle Shows for $ 10.00 and less and not sell. They are more desirable and fetch more $$$ with embossing or applied seals , with original labels intact , open pontiled examples, or in a odd coloration. Brian

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583