What's Wrong with this Picture?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

|MDB|

Reaction score
The sticker looks quite new, while the bottle doesn't.

the seller has a 100 percent rating though.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Yea. Looks like an old whiskey flask that someone glued a label to. At least it didn't sell!

epackage

Reaction score
I emailed the seller and they removed it....

jammur9

Reaction score
I GUESS PEOPLE JUST ASSUME IF IT HAS A LABEL THAT ITS THE RIGHT LABEL... WHAT A WAY TO HURT YOUR EBAY FEEDBACK RATING.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
The scary thing is.. some bidders might actually be happy with a win like this.. if someone actually bid on it, which didn't happen thank heaven! Someone might have been the proud new owner of a 'cool poison bottle with label'.. heeellloooo!!??

glass man

Reaction score
WOW!I have seen some really bad tries at scaming in bottles on ebay ..but that may be the most obvious one I think I have seen....so far!JAMIE

mctaggart67

Reaction score
It's a shame when this happens, though it appears the seller may not have done anything intentional. That said, it always seems that not long after a large cache of labels is found, some of the labels "magically" find their way onto bottles, in a move to increase value. Up here in Canada, you have to be suspicious when buying any bottle sporting a Lethbridge, Alberta drugstore label, since thousands and thousands of such labels were found in the 1970s. I mean, even forty years after the fact, unscrupulous types are still pasting them onto all manner of bottles - prescriptions, olive oils, shoe blackings, beverages, etc. - to get a few more bucks. This measure fools the general public and newbies to the hobby, but seasoned veterans are usually pretty wise to the scam. I remember when a tinful of Strathroy, Ontario beer labels was unearthed, and one dealer, who had got ahold of a small stack, was pasting them onto dug bottles. At the time, I collected early beers, and he drew my attention to his amazing "basement" finds. I feigned deep interest, which hooked him, then I ignored the labelled beers for a bit. This perplexed him and threw him off his game a little. When his attention became divided with another potential customer, I just popped in the question: "Hey X, where did you dig these beer bottles?" His reply: "In the dump, just outside Goderich." My response: "And with these sharp looking labels on them, to boot?" His final reply was just that resigned look that kids have when they get caught with their hand in the proverbial cookie jar.

General rule: If the label looks too sharp and clean on a bottle that's a century or more old, then pass on it, because paper also suffers where and tear over time. Most especially, old paper, even pre-1890 cotton fibre-based paper, discolours over the years.

E54FE72C289342AFAD775069DB1B22D2.jpg

Attachments

• E54FE72C289342AFAD775069DB1B22D2.jpg
    E54FE72C289342AFAD775069DB1B22D2.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 69

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin