Whats your opinion? clear demijohn

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Brains

Reaction score
So here i am walking through this antique store that never yeilds anything when i see a familer sight. It's a wicker covered demijohn thats clear, i have never seen a clear one before. The bottle directly resembles the smaller wicker covered one on this page, http://hometown.aol.com/rebobgem/1cindex.html (ps, nice site!) and i dont know what to think of the value of it. The wicker is mint with a little scratch here and there and the lip (the only part i can see) is clear, not tinted or anything but just clear. So, the seller wants $22 for it! I thought that was too much so i stuffed it somewhere where only i could find it[:D] and came here to ask you weather thats a good deal or not.
Whats your opinion?

welddigger

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure there are newer ones out there that are clear and have wicker. I've never seen a clear ol' demi-john before but thats not saying much. I have seen alot of aqua,amber,and green ones. Maybe go back and try to see if you can see a pontil scar. If it has a nice big kicked up iron pontil I'de probally buy it. Well, I would definately but it.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I have see a couple clear ones and they were all pretty late. I wouldnt pay $22 for one. Usually you can tell if a demijohn is early just by how the lip is made (look for applied lips as opposed to tooled lips). Sometimes you can hold it up to the light and see bubbles or whittle through the wicker. I have uncovered a couple demijohns and found they were cracked so keep that in mind if you pay big bucks for one.

One thing to note; earlier demijohns typically have a lip with a wide taper, newer ones have a more parallel taper to the lip.

Brains

Reaction score
the lip was conned shaped, wide at the bottom and narrow at the top. I think it is what you would call a tooled lip seeing as there are no mold marks. i also noticed there was and odd groove cut into the inside of the lip. It was a rectangle that circled the inside of the lip (inside like where whatever was inside the bottle would pour through). For $22 if you dont think it's not worth it than i REALLY dont think it's worth it, i could get another U-893 for that much!

epgorge

Reaction score
Brains,
So you are the guy who hides the bottles behind things so we find them and can't get to them? You dog you!
Ep

epgorge

Reaction score
Do you collect wheatons? What are you looking for? I see them all the time, huge collections but I pass them by. The same with cokes as that is an entirley different can of worms when collecting. Too much for me to remember. I do have one coke from Rutlnad bottling company, now defunct. But, thats it

Ep

Brains

Reaction score
let me explain my collecting stratogy...

I dont collect bottles much, i am more into insulators.
When i see somthing in this forum i go and look for it.
I came acrosse the demi that way.

About wheatons..
I dont colect them because they arent really antiques or all that old, i ment i have hidden cokes and wheatons before i knew wheatons were ropros and that the streight sided cokes werent really al that rare.

Witch reminds me.. i should look for info on the square wiskey i saw. For $55 i cant get it but it might be fun to learn about. Said somthin about tennessee (spelled wrong on my half!) and pat 1890 on the base in some weird dimple thing.

go figure, probley a repro[&:]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
i also noticed there was and odd groove cut into the inside of the lip

That sounds a bit like an early machine made bottle. If it was a rounded groove and a smaller bottle I would say it sounded like a Baltimore loop.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75