when where screw top bottles started

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

amywalker2007

Reaction score
we have a large botttle that says 1861 on the bottom and it is a screwtop. Can anyone tell us anything

Jim

Reaction score
I believe that the screw cap for bottles was invented around 1870, although it did not become popular until around the 1920s. Mason jars had screw-on lids earlier than bottles did. The very early screw cap bottles were mold-blown and had a rough, ground lip. After the machine-made bottles arrived, the screw cap became more common and eventually replaced the old cork-type tops on most types of bottles.

The 1861 on the base of your bottle could be a lot of things. Possibly a mold number. I hope this helps. ~Jim

capsoda

Reaction score
External threads on fruit jars was being experminted with in the early 1850s. The internal thread stopper for bottles was first patent in the US by S.A. Whitney. External theards on bottles have been expermented with since the 1850s but the first patents for bottles were issued in the 1870s just like Jim said. They really caught on in the 1930s.

marjorie040

Reaction score
Thanks Amy...your request brought more information that I didn't know...now I am curious about your bottle. Can you send a picture?
Marjorie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc