Where are the bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Hello, fellow bottle collectors;
I'm just starting out in the hobby so pardon me if I sound dumb. [:)]
I've been bottle hunting for a few days in this old field, and found a few nice ones scattered around on the surface. I've removed them and would like to find more, but I don't want to dig up the whole field. How can I find bottles without digging tons of holes?
Please help me if you can; any information will be greatly appreciated! [:)]

BottleDig1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info!
> The field I am searching used to have an old house on it before about 1965 when it was removed. I've thought about searching for the old outhouse site, but the field was graded and leveled and the excess dirt pushed into a large ditch. Is there any way I could find the old outhouse site? About 5 feet of dirt was removed when it was graded.

Thanks,

Maine Digger

Reaction score
BottleDig1 - you might want to check the Sanborns insurance maps for your area. They will show where house and other structures used to be. I've heard of others having good luck with them. Unfortunately, my property doesn't show up on the oldest one available here in our local history room. My house, circa 1837, was originally a large farm on the outskirts of town and when they produced the map in 1898, my place was considered non-essential I guess. They stopped about 1/2 mile from my lines. You might want to beg borrow or steal a metal detector, they also can be useful finding prospective sites, usually there's some old tin or iron where there's bottles.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter