Where are the old dumps anyone can dig in NY?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Hi

Reaction score
What's going on everybody. I'm living in upstate NY and looking for a good place to dig for bottles. I've dug a couple of privies a couple years ago but haven't had much time. Now I have some free time but can't find a spot. A dump that goes back to the late 1800s at least is what I'm really looking for. I know people hate giving their spots away but I'm finding it difficult locating any of these spots at all. I've heard of one in Utica but I believe it may be on private land. Any information on where I can go to dig these spots in NY would help. Thanks!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
"one in Utica but I believe it may be on private land." If that's the case I doubt that it's open to just anyone. I know of one dump that the police gave up on patrolling and the neighbors are still ticked off. It's been being dug for some 40 years now and not in NY.

Sand_pontil

Reaction score
People often talk about a or one "town dump" for a given town but really there were multiple dumps of different sizes and you dumped in the one within closest proximity, or on the other side of town if you were headed in that direction and needed to take out the trash. I just found one recently about the size of a baseball diamond that has never been touched. Haven't dug it yet but I am seeing 1880-TOC stuff on surface. The older dumps (pontil era) are generally single family dumps in the small-mid sized towns. But there are exceptions to that as well. people didn't discriminate where they dumped their trash and if an old dumping site was still available at TOC they dumped there as well. There is a one mile section of a smaller river that I dive, downstream of a town center and there are small one, two, three family dump sites scattered the entire length on both banks. In some places it seems only one or two cartfulls were dumped. Im literally diving in a mile long dump!!! It may seem impossible but just get out there and wander around, follow river banks, search sewage treatment plant sites. You will end up finding something and something not yet found.

Hi

Reaction score
Thanks all for the help. The mystery of where these dumps are is part of what makes it fun but can be agonizing at times.

MIssissaugadigger

Reaction score
I drive around the old dirt roads periodically checking along fences and old mature trees.Also look for ruins of old farmsteads and check around the property lines.Rivers and creeks can be productive also.Have fun [:D]

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
Hi Hi, The one in Utica is on city property anyone can dig and theres a better one in rome I could show you. If you'ld like to hit some cellar holes I've got over a dozen lined up and could use a hand. Happy Digs, DD

sunrunner

Reaction score
new York state? there all over the place just look.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2