where to find repo jars?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tombstone

Reaction score
I know repo jars are passed off as originals on ebay and selling for outrageous prices, but where do you find these fantasy colored jars at a reasonable price?

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
The only store I have ever run across was a place called Antique Reproductions (or something similar) in Shipshewanna IN, near the flea market there. They carry reproductions of furniture & china as well as fruit jars. There are some of those home decorating websites (though I can't think of any names right now) that carry some jars as well. Good luck! -Tammy

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Many of the repro jars are not new and were made back in the 70s and 80s from what I have heard. Its funny but some of the repros are valuable in thier own right.

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Tombstone,

Watch on ebay and if you have an honest seller, he or she will tell you the item is a repro. A few months ago I sold a few amber lighthing 1/2 pint repros on ebay, made in the late 80's. I said on the listing they were repros. they book at $10.00 to $15.00. I started them out at $9.99 and was thrilled when all of them sold for way over the high book.

Also, if you go to a tourist gift store town, there are always smal stores that sell the repro reemers and other items in so many colors. Many of those stores will have repro jars. We have a place out here in Central Florida called Mt. Dora. The town is just full of stores, and there are a number of places there that sell unique gifts and reproductions i see new repro jars there. But but don't buy a repro jar because of it's color, make sure it is quality glass. That way you can at least recoup your investment. Some of the repro bottles and jars made today are total junk. The glass is thin, the ground lip is poor, the embossing is light and the lids are cheaply made. You can tell them easily, just like those Taiwan bottles I see with the fake pontil right in the mold. CHEAP JUNK!

Gunther is right, back in the 70's there were a number of repros jars made. One example is 1/2 gallon jars, "Mason's CFJCo Patent Nov 30th 1858". They were made in some nice beautiful outstanding colors. The glass and the closures were quality. The stike on the embossing was superb. The 5 colors made were: Black Purple, Emerald Green, Amber, Colbalt Blue and Milk Glass. If I remember correctly, they were selling as repros back in the mid 70's for around 15 to 25 dollars. My Mom bought every one of the colors from a dealer at a bottle show. I thinked she paid $55.00 total. Today her set of 5 jar set books anywhere from $500 low book to $750 high book. What an investment, over 10 times you money in 30 years. I wish I had bought 2 or 3 cases of them.

An other thing is if you don't have a Red Book #8 or #9 get one. Those two volumes have a section in the back that tells all about the repros. They don't have every repro jar out there because new ones are poping up every day. However, that section has saved me $100's of dollars. It tells you what to look for on the jar. Some jars have been reproduced a 1/2 a dozen times. A different mold mark or number on the bottom could make the difference in value of a $5.00 jar to a $50.00 jar.

I don't know if the repros of today will increase in value, in the next 30 years, like the ones my Mom bought in the 70's. All depends on two things, the amount that are made and how much collectors want them. It's the old College Economics 101 theory, Supply and Demand. However, if you buy quality made items, and not some of the junk that is out there, two things are for sure, they will display much better in your home and you will most likely recoup your investment.

Lee

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyGuy73