where to look

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

preditor

Reaction score
i have only found bottles from 50,s and 60,s does anyone have suggestions as to where to look for the older cork bottles[8D]

Pontiled

Reaction score
There are many books available, from the Colonial period to the recent past, and many, many internet sites, with books about bottles (and jars). It really depends on what you are looking for. You might check previous posts on the post where this was posted, and other sites. What period do you collect?

preditor

Reaction score
as i have said i am new to bottle collecting i try to find really old houses and look for there trash pile usually in the woods behind the house again so far ive only found bottles around 50 or 60 years old im looking for bottles from the 30,s on back but i dont know really where to look except the old houses or how deep you would have to go to find something that old

preditor

Reaction score
i know this guy who told me where an old city dump is he has dated it back to the 30,s and 40,s but in talking with him he told me about finding an older town dump he dated it 1900,s to 1920,s he said he has not dug in about four years and only dug about one fourth of the dump site he said it produced a lot of corked bottles but dident offer the location for that one i guess he wants all the good stuff for himself

preditor

Reaction score
RE: hand probe

thanks alot that looks very useful ill make one tommorrow talk with you later

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Hand probes

Hi preditor, kaw, and all - - -
First of all, Kaw that was a secret. No, I'm just kidding. The reason I mentioned the longest available Sears Craftsman screwdriver, is because, first of all, they are different than most screwdrivers. They are made like small Spring steel probes for privy digging. I'm unsure of the process in which they are made, but they won't bend, and snap right back or spring. I've used mine for prying rocks, roots, etc. I never grind mine before probing either. After a day or two of normal probing, it will look like a heavy duty ice pick, and stay that way for tons of probing. Since it's a Craftman brand, you can return it when, and if you are unsatisfied. Kaw, you really should be using one like this in those hard banks you've been digging. I think they are $12 - $16 and remember this is a one time buy, just don't leave it somewhere on a dig. I used to use a 12" x square 3/8" one. Then, I found a 16" round 1/4". Both have located many finds that normally would have been walked over. You can find longer ones for a dollar and up, but they bend and need straightened after a couple of probes. Once you use one, like mine, you'll never go back, and hey don't tell anyone...hee hee.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter