Which top is older?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Amylj1971

Reaction score
Me again....Hoping to find out more about these tops. According to the books I have, the one on the left is called a "Blob", is that right? I've seen some that were huge and the ones I have are small so I thought I would double check. Out of the two, which one would be the oldest? Does the seam always mater? Thanks

Ig13292.jpg

Attachments

• Ig13292.jpg
    Ig13292.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 76

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hello, Amy . . .

I would describe the lip-finish on the left as "a broad rounded collar." I believe that it is too puny to classify it as a "blob top."

On the right, I would call it "a broad, flat sloping collar."

These terms are as used by Rex Wilson in his BOTTLES ON THE WESTERN FRONTIER.

Such lip-finishes were contemporaneous for a good while in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The seam always matters, though it may not be as reliable for dating as we'd like.

----------Harry Pristis

IRISH

Reaction score
Hi Amylj1971 welcome to the forum,
By the terms used here in Oz (bottle terminology varies a bit from place to place) the one on the one on the left is indeed a blob top and the one on the right is a wrap top, Harry's correct as to the approximate age of them.

amblypygi

Reaction score
The blob is tooled, and the sloping collar is applied, I would guess that the one on the right is older for that reason. As Harry says though, there is a lot of overlap, so dating by manufacture technique rather than embossing is always inexact.

Sean

Amylj1971

Reaction score
Thanks guys, if you really don't mind I will keep sending pics. (as soon as I figure out how to shrink them...) and keep asking questions. The more info. I get the more interesting this is getting to be!

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Amy....

You have been bit by the "bottle bug"...your life will never be the same, you will find yourself looking at every bottle you see and wondering..."When was that made? Is that a cork top? Should I buy this one or that one for my collection? " [:)]

Welcome to the best forum for us uncurables there is on the web!

The Doc...Dr. J.....(I got bit over 30 years ago and it gets worse and worse every day!!!) [X(]

old digger

Reaction score
Amy, your on the right track, and you'll learn fast, looking like you may have some pretty good keepers, and Dito to your having been" bitten by the bottle bug", like I said before keep those questions and pics coming, you have found a gold mind of help here. We were all "Bitten by that old bottle bug".[:)][;)]

Amylj1971

Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Unfortunatly for now I won't be able to send any more pics. I had a problem with Irfanware and appharently I have to much "crap" in my computer so I had to uninstall it. Things weren't running right after I downloaded it. Hopefully I can figure out a different way to shrink down the photos.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75