While all of you were living your lives.................

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nydigger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[8D]80s muscle car??? what crap!! the only muscle cars built that worth a flyin fu-- were built in the 60s and first part of the 70s. I owned a 1963 chevrolet impala SS with a 409 engine with two four barrel carbs and a five speed gearbox with a posi traction rear end, aluminum hood and front end, only about 30 were made. They would do 12 seconds in the quarter mile stock from the factory with 8 inch wide tires onna back. THAT was American engineering and innovation. You can still watch one run on you tube, when he can get the aviation gas to run it. That car got 9 miles to the gallon, I loved it but thank god I was one of those lucky 30 people to have once owned one, cause if we all had had one we wouldnt be able to breath from all the pollution. Keep on beatin em onna head Connor, somebodies gotta do it or we will all die of the garbage and pollution burying us all .......

Aviation gas? Omg that car is being robbed of all its horsepower potential. That fuel is designed to run at high altitude at a constant RPM. When I was in High Performance Engine building class when I was in a Tech school in Nashville, TN we had a chassis Dyno. My instructor had a friend he built a naturally assperated 1000 horse monster for his Vega. He religiosly ran aviation gas and was always wondering why it never seemed to be running at its rated horsepower. So he brought it by class on day and the instructor got the local VP Fuels rep. to come by with some fuel samples. He brought 110, 114, and 116. We ran the 110 for a baseline and it put about 875 to the wheels. Then we ran the aviation fuel and it fell on its face. It lost about 75 to 80 horsepower. We ran the 114 and it pulled about 890. Lets say the car didn't like the 116, not enough compression to burn it right. We put the 114 back in tweeked the carb jets and had it humming with 3 consecutive pulls at around 910 to 915 horsepower to the wheels. Lesson learned....av gas is crap for cars. His 1/4 mile times where better too since the fuel burn didn't flat line at higher RPM's

Plumbata

Reaction score
This debate has surfaced in the past, and albeit stimulating I feel that the focus on greenhouse gas emissions being the cause of climate change is misguided. CO2 is constantly being recycled by the flora of the planet and in time all the excess will be re-sequestered in anerobic strata or peat bogs. As steve indicated, there have been many interesting global climatic shifts in the past 700,000 years; shifts which had nothing to do with human intervention.

The problems I see are derived from improper use of land and natural resources, which causes changes in microclimates and the genetic variety originally found in such areas. The Dustbowl in the american southwest would likely not have occurred if a large percentage of the arable land was treated with more foresight. The Sahara desert used to be quite a lush region, but has been creeping south along with the nomadic herders who are allowing their livestock to nibble everything green and edible down to the roots. Valuable medicinal plants, such as the Sylphium, have been overharvested and pushed to extinction over the millennia, either directly or through improper use of resources, and now that science is in a position to make use of such valuable things, they no longer exist. There are likely 10s of millions of floral and faunal species on earth, most undescribed, and although the loss of many insect or fungus species would likely not cause any problems for the planet as a whole, over time the losses to the diversity found on this earth will tip the natural scales out-of-balance. Sometimes this is done consciously; the destruction of the Aral Sea by overuse of tributary waters and dumping of chemical-laden effluent, or the introduction of the Nile Perch in Lake Victoria, or accidentally, as in the Asian Carp in American waterways, Kudzu in the south and southeast, the spread of non-native insect and myco-parasites, etc. Us humans are resilient and can survive such events, but can we really thrive as a species if our world has been polluted and the natural-order unbalanced for millions of years in a matter of several industrious centuries?

Plain 'ole climate change or global warming, man-made or not, is of little concern to me. The global climate is resilient, and the emissions of industry and "progress" as we now know them are not likely to cause many problems. However, the damages wrought by the utter deforestation and rape of entire ecosystems to make way for oil palm, rubber, banana, and other plantations needed to feed these industries is not something that can be refuted. It is "anthropogenic" loss of global genetic diversity and eco-viability which has me most concerned. Conveniently, this trend is far less contentious than the debate at hand... Inconveniently, most people who do not believe in global warming will likewise not pay attention to the very real fact that the American, or Western manners of economic and material consumption are damaging and unsustainable presently, and that if everyone on the planet lived as us lucky folk do, then yearly industrial output of the irreplacable natural resources required to sustain such a lifestyle would be exhausted in a few months. This is a far more pressing concern than the amount of snow which fell in one's region last winter.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
You are probably correct, that was just what the guy who owns the car told me. I used to run 76 ethyl in mine, was about 106 octane I was told, I dont even think you can get gas that high in octane today..........
ORIGINAL: nydigger

ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[8D]80s muscle car??? what crap!! the only muscle cars built that worth a flyin fu-- were built in the 60s and first part of the 70s. I owned a 1963 chevrolet impala SS with a 409 engine with two four barrel carbs and a five speed gearbox with a posi traction rear end, aluminum hood and front end, only about 30 were made. They would do 12 seconds in the quarter mile stock from the factory with 8 inch wide tires onna back. THAT was American engineering and innovation. You can still watch one run on you tube, when he can get the aviation gas to run it. That car got 9 miles to the gallon, I loved it but thank god I was one of those lucky 30 people to have once owned one, cause if we all had had one we wouldnt be able to breath from all the pollution. Keep on beatin em onna head Connor, somebodies gotta do it or we will all die of the garbage and pollution burying us all .......

Aviation gas? Omg that car is being robbed of all its horsepower potential. That fuel is designed to run at high altitude at a constant RPM. When I was in High Performance Engine building class when I was in a Tech school in Nashville, TN we had a chassis Dyno. My instructor had a friend he built a naturally assperated  1000 horse monster for his Vega. He religiosly ran aviation gas and was always wondering why it never seemed to be running at its rated horsepower. So he brought it by class on day and the instructor got the local VP Fuels rep. to come by with some fuel samples. He brought 110, 114, and 116. We ran the 110 for a baseline and it put about 875 to the wheels. Then we ran the aviation fuel and it fell on its face. It lost about 75 to 80 horsepower. We ran the 114 and it pulled about 890. Lets say the car didn't like the 116, not enough compression to burn it right. We put the 114 back in tweeked the carb jets and had it humming with 3 consecutive pulls at around 910 to 915 horsepower to the wheels. Lesson learned....av gas is crap for cars. His 1/4 mile times where better too since the fuel burn didn't flat line at higher RPM's

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
80s muscle car??? what crap!! the only muscle cars built that worth a flyin fu-- were built in the 60s and first part of the 70s.

Andy most of those cars are untouchable for most adults let alone a teenagers pocket book.I was referring too the last of the full frame rear wheel drive cars Mustangs,Camaros,Trans Ams,Buick Grand Nationals,Monte Carlo SS of the 80s.My 87 Monte Carlo SS and my 87 Grand National will take apart most muscle cars from the sixtys and seventys.The Monte Carlo has a Crate motor 427,Blower,3 inch pipes,Lowered, Hotchkis racing suspension system.Runs the quarter mile in 12 and a half seconds.This car is soon to be my sons.The Buick Grand National has an upgraded Turbo inter cooler,2 and a half inch pipes.Runs the quarter mile in 12.80 seconds.Each car is very affordable and is still a muscle car by the standards applied...................For the rest of you witness the power of the sun On Oct 1st.
This impact just might have been felt and absorbed by some of the populace. http://strictlyhonest.com/amazing-comet-hits-the-sun-solar-flares-as-result/ The resulting solar flares can cause some people to experience equilibrium loss,unexplained fatigue and headaches.This impact will affect our weather and radio communications for the next two weeks.So while we were living our lives again this happened. [8D] Good explanation Plumbata your scientific data gathering is second to none.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I tried the link and it doesnt display the animation yet if you copy and paste it it works. http://strictlyhonest.com/amazing-comet-hits-the-sun-solar-flares-as-result

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaExplorer11