Wicked cool river find (continued)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Rockhounder55

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: swizzle

You should make a little shadow box out of that. Hand write a note about your adventure and pass it down through the generations in your family. I think that would be sweet. Very cool story indeed. Its not every day you open up a time capsule like that. Swiz

Great idea, Swizz. [:)] ~Mike

Rockhounder55

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: riverdiver

Finally got down to the base metal...I wonder if it started out as a full size spike or if this is its normal size. The RR bridge I was diving under was a small gauge track back in the day so who knows?

0CBF78347D184C35BFA9974DA00D84FC.jpg

The earliest RXR spikes I have are from the 1860's. They measure approximately 1/2" x 5-3/4". I also have some early narrow gauge spikes from the 1880's that measure 1/2" x 4-1/2". ~Mike

logueb

Reaction score
Great Post and some truly amazing finds. Makes me wonder about all those rusted clumps that I have tossed over the years. This will make me take a closer look for sure. You never know what will come from those railroad crossings. Buster

pigeonman

Reaction score
some of my best finds were in clumps of iron ore that was located next to a glass factory.

tftfan

Reaction score
Cool adventure !! the wife thinks maybe the RR spike was carried for self protection ?.... eh[;)]

robert murray

Reaction score
dude thats awesome to bad the indian head is in such poor shape no telling how old it is try a wire brush on your dremal maybe you can bring out some detail

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles