Winter dig on my own property…

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Winter dig on my own property…

Here are two pictures of a well that I have been digging of an on over the last past two years. Because of the ground water coming up, one day you can dig and the next you can’t depending on the rain. Now that winter is here the water has gone down and I am going to hit it hard. Just six moths ago the water was spilling over the top. My place was built in 1817 so the well dates to about that time. At 15 feet down the rocks had square edges rather than arched and it got smaller so it meant that it dried up and they had to dig it deeper. This also means that the early 1800s bottles that were laying on the bottom were dug up. I am down 18 feet right now and probed another 8 feet and didn’t hit bottom. It is filled with ash and the only bottles I have been finding are from 1920s-1930s. Hopefully it turns older soon. The picture was taken from the bottom of the well looking up. I have a pulley system and a blower attached to a downspout gutter for oxygen. Nothing compares to digging on your own property!

~~Tom

Vt57269.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57269.jpg
    Vt57269.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 59

capsoda

Reaction score
RE: Winter dig on my own property…

Hey Tom, Thats not fair having wells and such in your own back yard[&:] Thats a deeeeep hole man, don't get lost and be sure to quit digging if you start hearing orential music or smelling fried rice.[sm=lol.gif] Great pics man.

Mainepontil

Reaction score

Wow....I know that I am WAY too clostraphobic for that.

Eight to ten feet is all I'm good for.

Good luck man, I hope you hit a thick pontil layer. [:D]

Are you screening the dirt, must be some coins?

Bottleman

Reaction score

Hey Mainepontil, it’s actually not too bad down there. It’s about 5 feet wide and much wormer than up top. I am not screening it because it’s only from the 30s and not very trashy at all. I have ran my metal detector over the piles with no luck. I maybe have only found like 15 newer bottles since I started. No keepers yet. The stonework is amazing and to think they dug down that deep though clay and rocks with a square tipped shovel just amazes me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85