wondering...is it in poor taste to let maganese glass turn purple?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

moodorf

Reaction score
I really love the shades of purple this glass can turn, but I read some articles online saying that this type of glass turning purple from sun exposure is technically damaging it. Also, apparently some people are...intentionally irradiating it artificially? I was just wondering people's opinions on this. I kind of want my glass to turn purple, but not that garish shade I see in some pictures (I'm assuming this is the irradiated variety?)

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
It is a process that can be reversed with high temps like a kiln.
I for one don't support the artificial enhancement of the color, but there are a lot of folks that like these irradiated bottles. Natural enhancement from exposure to the sun over a long period of time will give an attractive amethyst tint to the glass (SCA sun colored amethyst). I don't mind that. It's the dark purple that is unnatural, so I personally frown on that practice.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Generally in the community the artificial coloring of the glass using irradiation (often food treating equipment) is considered a negative, especially when the person is selling the stuff by the gross on Ebay and not telling anyone that it's not original.

Most of us find the gentle SCA of a bottle that sat on the surface for a long time a plus. But, like with any other hobby on the planet, there are many differing opinions.

Jim G

moodorf

Reaction score
Since we're on the subject, how long of a time frame would it take for this type of glass to turn purple if left in a sunny windowsill? weeks? months? years?

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject, how long of a time frame would it take for this type of glass to turn purple if left in a sunny windowsill? weeks? months? years?
Not to be funny, but yes. It is dependent on the time of exposure and the percentage of manganese in the glass.

Last edited:

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Polish_20220426_143843834.jpg

The bottle on the left I found under mud, it was never exposed to sunlight in the 100+ years it was buried, the bottle on the right I found on the surface exposed to alot of sunlight.

I always liked the pink version better because while the clear one was protected in the mud the pink one watched some 120 years pass in full view of the sun, I just always thought knowing that made it more interesting... because it is much more difficult for bottles to survive on the surface as that one did.

Polish_20220426_145446334.jpg

The clear bottle in situ on the left while the pink bottle in situ on the right. Both bottles were produced for David Mayer, he was an ex-Confederate soldier who moved to the Bronx, New York to seek his fortune (a reverse Carpet Bagger).

This being said I only prefer pink/purple bottles if they are produced naturally as this color is testament to their survival in the hostile conditions of the surface.

Strapside

Reaction score
I really love the shades of purple this glass can turn, but I read some articles online saying that this type of glass turning purple from sun exposure is technically damaging it. Also, apparently some people are...intentionally irradiating it artificially? I was just wondering people's opinions on this. I kind of want my glass to turn purple, but not that garish shade I see in some pictures (I'm assuming this is the irradiated variety?)
It's not for me!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese