Woodlined privy question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jake12

Reaction score
Hi guys , I'm going back to the old homesite 1860s - 1870s house to continue digging. Iv dug about 4 feet or so and it keeps going down its lined with wood and is shaped like a rectangle it's long and a not wide can anyone shed some light on what I'm digging into? I see alit of black dirt and some rust here and There but no bottles . I'll post another video of it later . Thanks -Jake.

creeper71

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Jake12

Hi guys , I'm going back to the old homesite 1860s - 1870s house to continue digging. Iv dug about 4 feet or so and it keeps going down its lined with wood and is shaped like a rectangle it's long and a not wide can anyone shed some light on what I'm digging into? I see alit of black dirt and some rust here and There but no bottles . I'll post another video of it later . Thanks -Jake.
You do know not to ever Dig a Privy by yourself.. You always will need atleast one friend with you to get help if something would happen

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
The ONLY way to answer your question in "dig down" (with help) dig to the bottom and be done with it.

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
my advice

most important....do not dig alone. Follow all four wood sides till they stop and use probe to carefully feel bottom of for other layers. Sounds like you are still in the fill layer. I dug 2 1850's wood liners last month and they were both 16 feet deep and in sand. Both collapsed in around my Wood protective box and we would have all been dead with out the boxes

epackage

Reaction score
Please stop changing the titles of every post....[8|]

epackage

Reaction score
Yes Jim, when you write something new in the title line when responding to a existing post it shows up like it's a whole new post on the forum. It makes it kind of hard to follow and keep track of an existing post because of the change, I hope you understand.
Thanks,
Jim[;)]

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
well i wish you would have called me out by name before now.....i need to have my hand held like a third grader sometimes

westKYdigger

Reaction score
RE: my advice

Could you go into more detail about your 'wood protective box'? I've come close a couple of times to getting dumped on. We have some sandy areas here, too. Maybe start a new thread about methods used to prevent cave-ins. Thanks

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jimmartin

well i wish you would have called me out by name before now.....i need to have my hand held like a third grader sometimes
No biggie, at least you're aware now...[;)]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin