YELLOW AMBER BOTTLE ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Paa Paw

Reaction score
Hello ,I am a real newby with alot of Questions and alot to learn about my new hobbie.OLD bottles..Here is a Lg Bottle that appears to me to have three levels of glass blown into it ? lots of seed bubbles and around the bottom it looks as if it was whittled out of the mold...I dont know anything about Bottles so can you all tell me anything....Use ? AGE ?Value ? the value doesnt really matter cause I just plain like the way this one looks in the light....
forsale038.jpg
forsale045.jpg
forsale042.jpg

Plumbata

Reaction score
Hey there, that's a nice looking beer bottle you have! It isn't really rare or valuable, as it lacks information identifying it to a specific bottler or brewer as far as I can see, but if you would like to know more about this and other bottles, check out this site:

http://www.sha.org/bottle/closures.htm

And quoting from the site, in regards to the type of bottle this is:

Baltimore Loop or Bottle Seal
This functional and fairly popular closure was patented by William Painter, a Baltimore machine shop foreman, in September of 1885. Painter called it the "Baltimore loop seal" though it was usually referred to simply as the "bottle seal" (Riley 1958; Munsey 1970). The closure itself is a plug or disk made of rubber or other flexible material with the bottom surface convex shaped. The disk fit tightly into a groove ("reverse taper") circling the inside of the bottle's bore. Internal pressure from the carbonation pressed against the convex surface resulting in lateral pressure which held the disk firmly in the groove. An imbedded wire shank in the top of the disk was used, in conjunction with a hook or pointed instrument, to pull the seal from the bore of the bottle and access the contents. Thus, the alternative name of "loop seal" for this closure. Painter produced and provided the tools to glassmakers that formed the reverse taper inside the bottle finishes (Riley 1958; Lief 1965).

Dating Notes: The bottle seal was used primarily on blob finish mouth-blown beer bottles, and to a limited degree blob finish soda bottles, made between 1885 and at least the early 1910s (IGCo. 1911; Newman 1970). The majority of both types of bottles have tooled finishes; applied finishes are uncommon (empirical observations). Finishes that accepted a bottle seal closure show up on beer and soda bottles from all parts of the continental U.S. and is rarely if ever seen on other bottle types. Even during its peak period of use, the Lightning-type closures were used much more than the bottle seal on beer bottles and the Hutchinson stopper on soda bottles (Lincoln 1970; Munsey 1970). By the early 20th century another of Painter's patent closures would totally eclipse all of the competitor's in the closures world - the crown cap.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles