Yesterday I became a bottle collector!!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Xretsim

Reaction score
Hi, firstly congratulations to everyone for making this cool site! I spent hours here last night reading posts old and new.

So, some of you may remember a kids tv show (in the UK) called Why Dont You? it was always shown in the mornings of the summer holidays. Well, i remember watching a feature on there about some people digging up old bottles at a victorian dump......and i was intrigued!! i spent all that summer holiday trying to find a dump to dig in. Baring in mind that this was about 20 years ago and i was about 12, i didnt have any luck finding a dump, or any old bottles dispite digging up half the garden, the local woods and a few farmers fields. Anyway, while walking in some woods yesterday, quite close to home, i noticed that there was broken bits of old looking glass absolutly everywhere! It didnt take long before i realised that after all these years i had just stumbled upon where to dig!! LOL. I only had a bout ten minutes and my feet for digging, but if i can work out how to do it i'm about to attach a/some pic/s of my loot.....if anyone can shed any light as to what they are, how best to clean them (bareing in mind that i have no special equipment or cleaning materials), i would love to hear from you. I have identified a few from reading this forum last night but anymore help would be appreciated. Sorry for the RANT but I'm kinda excited about all of this!! haha Cheers!

Ec89692.jpg

Xretsim

Reaction score
another pic............

Vt58482.jpg

Attachments

• Vt58482.jpg
    Vt58482.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 76

Xretsim

Reaction score
details on the pics are a bit hard to see, but the first bottle on the left of the pic says - Palethorpes' and has a large P in a diamond on the bottom. The next has no markings at all but is almost jar like with a large opening, then there is a cartons HP sauce, brights fruit sauce, then a similar shaped bottle but with no markings at all. on the next row - from right to left is a poison not to be taken, then 2 unmarked bottles, then california fig syrup (eww!) then 2 ink(?) bottles again with no writing, but the one nearest the camera has a number on the bottom - 2126 B. Then at the front is a cute looking, somewhat damaged bottle, then the two pot jars (which i think are great!) and then another unknown thing with some damage, but it looks pretty.

Black_Boogers

Reaction score
Greetings MisterX!

First, welcome to the forum! There's lots of great folks here who are happy to help, and quite a few are from the UK. Second, congrats on the great finds!! I wish I could find and dig old bottles with just my feet! LOL Anyway, I'm no expert on UK bottles, but yours look more Edwardian than Victorian, probably dating from 1900 or so to the 1920s. Good luck on your future digging adventures, and for gosh sakes, get back to that spot with a spade!!

Regards,

Rick

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Palethorpes
Oh great, I was going to start a Lea & Perrins look-a-like sub collection. Now there's another and I know I'll need another shelf. I have to guess that ones Worcestershire sauce anyway.

walkingstick

Reaction score

[:D]Yep! It sure is great. With all the variations and such, there seems to be a never ending variety of themes to build a display. Just pick a theme and go.

Always an excuse to "get mo' bottles"![:D]

It doesn't matter how much you can "budget" for them. There is always a bottle for the bottle collector no matter how much or little we make.

grimdigger1

Reaction score
Hi
Looks like you have caught the bottle bug ,,from your pics it looks like your site dates to about 1915 - 1920
the bottle far right ,far left and the three tall ones at the back center are sauce bottles
bottle 2nd right back is a poison / ammonia bottle
back 2nd left is a pickle jar
the two stoneware items are probably stove blacking or boot polish
Other bottle look like medicines ,perfumes and a califig
Cleaning wise a green nylon scourer and some bottle brushes are what you need ,,brushes are readily available from home brew shops
some sharp sand in water shaken vigourously will remove stubborn stains
Get back to your site armed with a shovel and fork and dig for more ,,hope you get lucky on ther and look forward to some more pics
if you need any advice you can send me a message through here or on the UK forum

Xretsim

Reaction score
Excellant! thanks for the cleaning advice. I'll be back at the site on tuesday, to do some real diggin' - i saw some really interesting looking 'bits of bottle' so I'm hoping i will find some examples of them whole. Things like LUNG TONIC!!! - what the heck? and things that related to 'dewsbury hospital'? anyway - i'll be sure to let you all know what i find!
Thanks again [:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOYCELR