EARLIEST ACL SODA BOTTLE(S) ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Reminder ...

1. The Owens-Illinois Glass Company was established in 1929, so a solo 6 cannot stand for 1926. It is either 1936 or 1946.

2. Most Owens-Illinois bottles that were made in 1940 or later are marked with Duraglas, which was a hardening additive.

Canadacan

Reaction score
I guess seeing that the bottom has no stippling it can't possibly be from 1946?.....is it at all plausible that this bottle is though?...and has no stippling, no Duraglas logo, and no dot?
I'm not sure what the fellow told me is 100% accurate when it comes down to the dot being a mold indicator.....Bill never addressed this in his updated article from 2015....Wish I could email and ask him if this dot thing applies to 1940's codes.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Owens-Illinois Cape Fear ACL bottle with Duraglas, stippling, single digit 5, and dot = 1945

The G117 is the mold number

Owens Illinois Base Cape Fear 1946 with dot.jpg

Last edited:

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
From a 1930 Owens-Illinois catalog w/mold numbers (Non ACLs)

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1930 1 of 3.jpg

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1930 2 of 3.jpg

OWENS ILLINOIS CATALOG 1930 3 of 3.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Here's a Owens-Illinois bottle with Duraglas and a double-digit 48 with the dot next to the 51. :confused:

Note: I gave up trying to figure out Owens-Illinois codes because there are so many variables there seems to be no rhyme or reason for them!

Base O-I Duraglas double digit no dot 1948.jpg

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Taz

Thanks for sharing your bottle - I'm confident its a 1936

Canadacan

Reaction score
I think the engravers did some weird things even on the years that should have dots...like forgetting to put them in is one of the major inconsistencies through out the plants, I'm sure the stories will vary from some of the former employees as well.

tsalz14

Reaction score
Thanks for all the knowledge to both of you. Another thing that my point to 1936 is the embossing on the base (not bottom) of the bottle. The name of the company, tj stones, is embossed in the bottle. I think as time went on, they would have stopped doing that.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Because of the Spring-like weather we are having here in southern California (76' degrees), I went bottle hunting yesterday and walked a section of an old highway and found this ...

Pippo Brand Beverages

... acl bottle that was partially buried under some brush. When I first eyeballed it I thought it was either a 7up or a Squirt bottle but was excited to discover it was a brand I had never heard of before. And to tell you the truth, I'm not certain if its a 1936 or 1938 bottle - it depends on which way you look at the base. As you will see in the attached pictures, in one direction it appears to be ...

8 <(I)> 6 Which would indicate Owens-Illinois - Plant 8 Glassboro, New Jersey - 1936

But in the opposite direction it appears to be ...

9 <(I)> 8 Which would indicate Owens-Illinois - Plant 9 Streator, Illinois - 1938

But even weirder is, the mold/style code (G 136) is on the side and not the base. I can't recall ever seeing an Owens-Illinois bottle with the code on the side - the ones I'm familiar with are all on the base.

Notice the label has the image of a Clown, whose name I am assuming is "Pippo." The bottle came from ...

The Gallup Mercantile Company - Gallup, New Mexico

... whose most sought after bottle is their "Navajo Land Beverages" bottle that I also have and will post a picture of shortly.

I don't know a thing about the "Pippo" brand, nor have I been able to find a picture of another bottle. But I did find a "Pippo" bottle cap, that I will also post a picture of shortly.

If anyone is familiar with this bottle, please tell us what you know about it, including its rarity and value. I have a gut feeling its extremely rare!

Its not in the greatest shape - but that's because it was tossed from a car about 80 years ago and has been laying in the dirt!

100_4726.jpg

100_4729.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264