Moxie Mystery ACL Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Sold
The seller accepted my offer for the 1941 Moxie ACL bottle.

I do not intend to purchase this 1942 Owens Illinois Moxie ACL bottle with the funky label. However, it's currently the latest example of a 7 oz. Moxie ACL I am aware of. I will continue my search for later examples.

Moxie ACL Owens Illinois 1942 (eBay 2024).jpg

Moxie ACL 1942 Owens Illinois Base (eBay 2024).jpg

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Sold
The seller accepted my offer for the 1941 Moxie ACL bottle.

I do not intend to purchase this 1942 Owens Illinois Moxie ACL bottle with the funky label. However, it's currently the latest example of a 7 oz. Moxie ACL I am aware of. I will continue my search for later examples.

View attachment 252212
View attachment 252213
The Moxie bottle I dug earlier this year is an Owens-Illinois 7 oz. (same as this one) but with a date code of "5·" (1945). Label is long gone, but it's certainly a 7oz with the 1945 O-I date code. The bottle has seen better days, but here's a few pics (hard to see the bottom markings - "3 3 5·"):

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Sitcoms

When you said the label is long gone did you mean a paper label or ACL? There are several 7 Oz. bottles on eBay but most of them don't have labels of any type. This brings up another mystery and more questions as to why so many of the later Moxie bottles - large and small - continued to use paper labels throughout the 1940s and into the 1950s. I have a quart size Moxie bottle made by Owens Illinois in 1945 that has a paper label. Another thing I'm looking into is to see if any of the older 1930s quart bottles have ACLs.

Sitcoms

Reaction score
Thanks, Sitcoms

When you said the label is long gone did you mean a paper label or ACL? There are several 7 Oz. bottles on eBay but most of them don't have labels of any type. This brings up another mystery and more questions as to why so many of the later Moxie bottles - large and small - continued to use paper labels throughout the 1940s and into the 1950s. I have a quart size Moxie bottle made by Owens Illinois in 1945 that has a paper label. Another thing I'm looking into is to see if any of the older 1930s quart bottles have ACLs.
I would guess a paper label - I find a good number of ACL sodas from the 50s at the particular dump I found this one at, and while they're not all perfect most have some kind of indication that they had them. Paper labels, on the other hand are few and far between, and often really beat up if they're still there. This bottle has no indicators that I know of that it had an ACL at one point.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that. So-called "Ghosted" ACL bottles are often hard to see. The 1942 bottle on eBay is half ghosted. Speaking of which, it's still the latest 7 Oz. "Wheat-Sheaf" ACL I'm aware of. Based on what I have seen, it's starting to look as if they transitioned to the "Moxie-guy" ACLs around 1945 or 1946.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's another Moxie bottle I'm researching. It might be one of the very first Moxie ACL bottles. It's a Glenshaw bottle and the 47 on the base is for 1947. I communicated with the seller and educated them about Glenshaw bottles and their ring-codes. They sent me the attached photos of the codes - one of which is the letter S - and on the other side is the number 32. The 700 on the base is a style code - which is also on a lot of 7up and Squirt bottles. I'm not sure when they were first introduced, but were heavily advertised in the late 1940s and early 1950s. I call it the "New" Moxie bottle.

Moxie New eBay 2024.jpg

Moxie New eBay Base 1947.jpg

Moxie New Ring Code 32 1947.jpg

Moxie New Ring Code S eBay 2024.jpg

Glenshaw Codes Sweeney ACL Book 2002.jpg

New Moxie 1948_The_Boston_Globe_Wed__Mar_10__1948_.jpg

New Moxie 1950_Keyport_Weekly_Thu__Apr_20__1950_.jpg

cheromike

Reaction score
Hypothesis regarding my Moxie ACL / Best Guess / Inconclusive ...

1. Made by the American Bottle Co. in Newark, Ohio in 1922
2. Became inventory of Owens Illinois when they acquired American in 1929
3. Owens Illinois experimented with ACL as early as 1931
4. Owens Illinois first ACL was applied to milk and drug bottles in 1932-33
5. Owens Illinois added the number 32 to the mold in 1932
6. My Moxie ACL was an experiment by Owens Illinois - possibly in 1932
7. The experiment was unacceptable and abandoned at that time.*
*The earliest O-I ACL soda bottle I am aware of is a Jumbo Cola - 1934

Question:

If all or most of the above is accurate, could it mean that my Moxie ACL might be the earliest ACL soda bottle ever made?

The Rest of the Story / See attached Moxie pdf / Automatically downloads

Later Alligators - Have a great New Year

Bob

cheromike

Reaction score
Hypothesis regarding my Moxie ACL / Best Guess / Inconclusive ...

1. Made by the American Bottle Co. in Newark, Ohio in 1922
2. Became inventory of Owens Illinois when they acquired American in 1929
3. Owens Illinois experimented with ACL as early as 1931
4. Owens Illinois first ACL was applied to milk and drug bottles in 1932-33
5. Owens Illinois added the number 32 to the mold in 1932
6. My Moxie ACL was an experiment by Owens Illinois - possibly in 1932
7. The experiment was unacceptable and abandoned at that time.*
*The earliest O-I ACL soda bottle I am aware of is a Jumbo Cola - 1934

Question:

If all or most of the above is accurate, could it mean that my Moxie ACL might be the earliest ACL soda bottle ever made?

The Rest of the Story / See attached Moxie pdf / Automatically downloads

Later Alligators - Have a great New Year

Bob
Thx Bob; I would like to add that the Swankyswig designer, KRAFT FOODS of Chicago also began using ACL 5 oz. glass containers in December 1932. Various flavors of Kraft Cheese Spread were put into reuseable glasses from that time to the present (2024). Swankyswig collectors are also challenged by some designs that are very rare. Kraft Foods of both Australia and Canada also issued Swankyswigs in many different designs. --Michael Elling, Sharon, Tennessee

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Michael

I'm familiar with Swanky Swig ACL glasses. However, the earliest one I am aware of is from 1933. You mentioned one from December of 1932. Do you have a confirmed source for the 1932 glasses? The earliest ones had black and red stripes on them, like this one on eBay ...

In 2019 I participated in a study with Bill Lockhart where we addressed the Swanky Swig glasses. (Attached). If you have evidence of anything earlier than 1933, please share it with us. There are some serious Swanky Swig collectors who would also like to know about anything earlier than 1933.

Regarding ACL soda bottles, the 1934 Jumbo - A Super Cola is still the earliest one I am aware of. Bill Lockhart and I published a study about it in 2020. (Attached)

Bob

Attachments

• ACLArticle2019 (1).pdf
    4.4 MB · Views: 56
  • Jumbo Cola Article Final April 30, 2020.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members