6 baby snappers, 2 old bottles. Lol.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Green: Beer or wine they think on Ebay. Kick-up base, applied ring mouth. For sale from 4 dollars to 150. As for which will sell, that's pretty obvious. Some say it's Hock wine?
As for the Root one, I found the thread Goodman did on his. If I recall, it was SunRunner who said pre-1910. Might have been Sandchip? I exited out too soon (Googled it, first image I saw was like mine and it lead here to ABN.)
Next week I might pick up one or two medicines. As for where they'll go, there's not much room. They range from fifty cents to a dollar fifty.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
hemihampton said:
Just dug a similar bottle in bottom of my 1870's Privy hole so I'd guess age is 1870's? Bottom is called a Kick Up I believe, common on Champagne bottles,ect, ect. LEON.
Yes the bottom is referred to as a kick up. I know it does have a specific purpose for wine bottles it helps to keep the sediment in the wine on the bottom of the bottle. I think the mouth is considered Flared not sure it's hard to see and if it has twist it was probably done in a turn mold. You know this stuff Spirit Bear look at the bottle and see what it's telling you. I'm sure if you do you'll be able to put a good date on it and find out what it was for.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
My thought was Turn Mold, but I'm more of a 1900-on kind of Bear. It's short for wine, though. I've never seen one so small. Thanks for telling me why that's there! The mouth isn't flared. It's an applied ring according to the websites. The first set of photos is clear to show it?

hemihampton

Reaction score
Might be best to release them into the creek & let them swim to mona lake. I kept many turtles & snakes ect when I was a kid. Many do not do well in captivaty & do better outside. LEON.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Hemi, that is also a concern--how would a snapper do in my house over winter? The summer would be fine--we have ponds and fish and bugs and plants and regular turtle food. As two of my turtles escaped when the ponds over flowed and somehow got through the fences (or over,) I have three things of turtle food my Eastern Box couldn't eat-- regular "Turtle Sticks" and shrimp as well as a fruit-veggie pellet. I'd rather it not sit and go to waste. As for how I take care of aquatic turtles, I have several tanks (that one is the smallest I have that is glass) that have aquatic heaters, filters, biological agents (natural) plants, shell conditioner, heat/UV lamp, a couple potential places between windows and shade to be in, things to keep them active, little handling as they hate that... My turtle was so gorgeous. My vet, even having to do surgery on him after a deadly attack, was impressed at his beauty. The big compliment was that. "He only survived because of how good you've taken care of him." Otherwise, my dog basically ended him. He pointed out, "I don't know what that is," we thought it was an organ, "and I don't know how well we can close him up as there's skin and shell missing. See this? The whole thing is cracked." We debated whether we let him live or not, as we didn't know how well he'd recover. He made a full recovery, then a year later up and took off. I loved that turtle. Even now it hurts to know he left us after so many years... He would come when I patted my leg. Lol.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
Spirit Bear said:
My thought was Turn Mold, but I'm more of a 1900-on kind of Bear. It's short for wine, though. I've never seen one so small. Thanks for telling me why that's there! The mouth isn't flared. It's an applied ring according to the websites. The first set of photos is clear to show it?
Yes I agree with you probably too short for a wine bottle, I was just stating it's purpose for wine bottles. Yes I was quite wrong about the flared it is definitely an applied ring.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
Thank you Spirit Bear, I have been reading some good books that RED recommended and a lot of reading on sha.org. That and studying the bottles I currently have has helped a lot.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I've been on Sha.org and other places trying to figure out what this green bottle is. It's not a Hock. It seems a combo of two different styles that bottled wine and like products, but it has to be one or the other. I cannot find any pictures of identical ones to make me know what it is when I search various types and search-terms-- as in when I search reliable sources. I picked the weird one of the bunch-- the one that was most different. Perhaps if I grabbed a more normal one, or could at least well recall them, I'd figure it out. Lol. It could have been made between the 1870s to 1900s easily as was already determined here. The exact decade may never be known. All the bubbles make me think it's an earlier one. The styles are very common bottles in historic sites (wines, champagne...) and were also used for beer/ale. It could be wine or champagne, but in a smaller, cheaper size. Could be an ale. I'm just gonna find a place to put it and be happy thinking it's one of my oldest bottles. And what I just saw on Google Images is profoundly disturbing... Bottle terminology mixes in with... other things. Careful what you Google.
Looking at the neck in a dark blue light (email background is an early morning forest) makes certain aspects more noticeable. It has some really unique characteristics; each is shown in a different light. Almost reminds me of the arrows telling you where the road bends--seems to run rings around the mouth but not all of the neck. Lol.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
Lol your funny, I would say you are probably right about it being earlier because of the bubbles. About that Root Blob you want to make a trade?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator