6 baby snappers, 2 old bottles. Lol.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The bubbles make me love it! I might go and get the other odd one. Issue is... I have no room and little money. I'm thinking on instead grabbing the 1894 Yearbook of Agriculture for my collection (it'd fit perfectly; I have a 1949 example with an interesting twist to it.)
I'm going to hang onto the Root blob for a while. There's nothing going for it except it's my favorite glass company and they were supposed to be ABM. The staining is terrible, hence why I thought I overpaid. Nonetheless! historical value/interest to me overrules the monetary value or lack thereof. Any idea what was in it? I doubt a labeled example still exists; perhaps I'll find a catalog image one day that tells me something. The Root bottle also has those little bumps for venting, which I think I forgot to mention.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
Thats Okay I understand it really is a good looking bottle. If it has the vent dots on it that can help date it, if I remember correctly they used the vent holes for about 30 years.

Bert DeWitt

Reaction score
Forget what I said about the vents and 30 years I don't know why I was thinking that. I went back and read about them again and what I first said was wrong.

MuddyMO

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, think I've seen a "mini hock" with a partial label once. It said it was an olive oil product. Turn mold, dotted kick up, and applied champagne band.

I believe hock wines were turn molded even up to the 1930s? Seen a teal one from France with most of its label, mid 30s.

MuddyMO

Reaction score
...as for the snappers, I'd let them go by their own device. Meaning, let em go by a creek. They are top predators in the water, and in some areas are a problem for threatened or endangered species (fish, salamanders). Before introducing ANY animal or plant to a foreign ecosystem, it is wise to see even if this organism lives here. Also, is a snapper something you want to worry about while swimming in a creek or lake that previously may never had any in it? They don't make a good pet, after a year they grow very fast, requiring lots of food (=bottle money). My two cents on snappers as an avid conservationist and aquatic creature keeper/breeder. I'd hate to mention the death option, but depending on snapper distribution in your area, that may be the best thing for unchallenged ecosystems (don't let it be another Chinese snake fish issue!). Take care

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Bert, one side in particular seems to have it in a very non-symmetrical location. Oh! further study in different light of the blob showed where it's label once was (I could see where the two ends didn't meet.) The glue did stuff to the glass, or at least the label lasted long enough for it to have protected the glass from some staining.
Muddy, it seems highly plausible. Most of the bottles were hand-tooled or blobs, though so... I'm going to stick with late 1800s.
The snappers are probably the most common turtle over here in all the still waters (like Mona Lake, large ponds... Wolf Lake, Bear Lake, Duck Lake... we have too many lakes. Lol.) Although, Eastern Boxes are a threatened species, they're common up here too-- today after Church I went bottle hunting; I found some interesting things (Like a gorgeous black-headed Eastern Box.) Also found part of a mid-century bus in the woods... Most baby turtles (most any you'll see ever) won't survive to adulthood anyway. I guess I'll let them go, but would rather put them in the lake, rather than sit them in the creeks. As for challenged ecosystems, the only thing Mona Lake has going for it anymore is that it has no Asian Carp (your Chinese fish.) Otherwise, Mona Lake was given up as being too gone to save (A century and a half of dumping and run-off in it has set in a course of eutrophication [ sediments filling in a body of water from too high an amount of nutrients.]) I intend to go into the Environmental Sciences; what made me want to is that I want to one day see Mona Lake as it once was.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
To Robert - I have been doing a lot of study on the marks on glass that relate to the methods of making the product. The turn mold function was done to reduce the intensity of the mold seams. I have found that the twisting of the blow pipe. some times puts vertical stress lines in the glass under where the applied glass and tooled finishes were put on the empontilled bottle. I have to also study the side walls of the turned glass surface on the bottle, because the turning also created horizontal smudge zones and/or even marked lines on the straight cylinder body wall. These marks will even tell us which way the blowpipe was turned., Usually the pipe was turned to the right and as t was done those marks will hook up toward the left end of the marks - which tilts my mind because as the bottle is lifted the marks should curve down. Bottle making marks are about all we have to tell us what the bottle maker has done - but I just keep on thinking about them to solve my observed bottle mysteries. RED Matthews

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well I will have to read all this thread over = to get more descriptive,. But push up is a common term for the domed bottom cavity like that and they were very helpful for holding residual pieces of grape skins or seeds from flowing into ones goblet or wine glass. Back later - just got called for supper. RED M.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Acrgator