Antique? Older than 50 years old?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
I have the Solution to this problem ever taking place in the Future. What you do is Post many signs around the Perimeter of this Archeological site stating "THIS IS A ARCHEOLOGICAL SITE. NO DIGGING OR REMOVAL OF ANY ARCHEOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS PERMITTED. UNLESS YOU ARE A CERTIFIED ARCHEOLOGIST, GEOLOGIST, OR BIOLOGIST GIVIN PERMISSION BY THE STATE" Then for a extra protection measure (optional I might add but fullproof) is you get a 100 foot tall Guard Tower (kinda like the forrest ranger towers or state prisons) & Put a Park Ranger in there 24/7 to overlook the Archeological site for looters & tresspassers. There, Problem solved, how easy was that. Why do I gotta think of everything. The State of California can't figure this out by themselves. It would take the state of California a million $ dollar survey & think tank to come up with the same solution I came up with in 2 minutes for free. Your Wecome. I think the 74 on bottom Dates it to 1974. Therefore less then 50 years old.

epgorge

Reaction score
surfaceone said:
epgorge said:
Again, that bottle should be able to be dated by the twists in the threads at the top of the bottle. The morphology of the industry makes that clear and we can all be thankful to Bill Lindsey for making that more possible with his intense research into that morphology at: http://www.sha.org/bottle/dating.htm...
Uh, Joel, I think even Bill Lindsey would be sorely taxed to date this bottle precisely. Certainly it is post 1920, but precisely dating it by the continuous screw thread, I believe, is an impossibly tall order. Perhaps you can prove me wrong... [align=center]
triangle.jpg
[/align]
Exthttp://www.sha.org/bottle...adedating.htm#Question 1 You will need to go down the page to threaded tops2er Gonal (continuous) screw threads on a Heinz™ catsup bottle Go about three quarters page down to find threaded dating.

epgorge

Reaction score
You will need to go down that page about three quarters of the way down to the threaded top section.

Digswithstick

Reaction score
Was said artifact on top of ground or dug up ,and was it on state land ? Seems it is ok to pick up or dig 49 year old bottles ,but prison sentence for 51 year old bottle .Hope this site will not become vehicle for guilt or innocence of collectors or diggers.Agree with others ,no way can exact year of manufacture be proven.All this acomplishes is widening the rift between archies and collectors,just my opinion.:)

surfaceone

Reaction score
epgorge said:
You will need to go down that page about three quarters of the way down to the threaded top section.

Yes, Joel, I'm familiar with the SHA site. Bill said, "B. External ("screw") thread finish - The bottle you have has external screw threads - which are usually either continuous or non-continuous or variations on these themes. Most all types of machine-made bottles with external screw threads date from the late 1920s or after, though some types - like catsup bottles - were commonly screw-threaded from the beginning of machine manufacture in the early 1910s." How does this prove anything in the way of dating the bottle in question? It merely sets a bottom parameter date wise. In my opinion, Officer Beehner's evidentiary bottle cannot be dated with any kind of accuracy. His claims that the bottle has "value" to the State of California, indigenous peoples and "historic" former residents of the area, based solely on it's age, cannot be supported either, again, in my opinion. It is a shame that our rights, and personal freedoms have been eroded by misguided legislation of this type. The California State legislature has been legislating non-stop since 1850. When will the citizens of California stand up, grab their electoral bottle of White Out, and start amending the reams of paper laws that have altered their lives for the worse?
california-republic-bones-e1348769117348.jpg

epgorge

Reaction score
Even if the bottle were made in 1960 it would be fifty years old. The bottom mark may well be 1974. If I needed a defense that would be it. or, for the State to prove it were made later. The State needs to prove it is fifty years old if it is to go to court case. That may be tough? Yes! That is not a recently produced or modern bottle, as the threads on the top tell me. I agree government is on a run away path to total control. The sheeple just keep asking for more and more regulation. In Southern California especially. I think that is why the north wants to separate and form their own State. I am a Libertarian. Ran for Governor here on that ticket. I was sincerely telling the officer where he could go to attempt to prove age. Again, Bill Lindsey's sight is the best to do that. This particular cyber thread has turned more into a voicing of discontent with government rather than sharing our knowledge with others. That is what I always found valuable in Roger's sight. The officer is tasking a job. I do understand peoples emotions about this issue. That is why I always ask permission to dig. This is just my opinion and I apologize if I have upset anyone. Joel

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
Based on the fact that nobody can prove the exact age of the bottle, I think your case should be dropped.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75