Any idea's??

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlejunkie

Reaction score
As to what type of bottle this is? and how old it might be? it's 7 1/2" tall and the bottom is round. I recently dug it in Central Kentucky. I really like the color of glass on this one. definitely one of my favorites! any opinions are welcome. thanks and happy bottle tossin!

C.KYbottlejunkie

Pn35815.jpg

Attachments

• Pn35815.jpg
    Pn35815.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 84

KentOhio

Reaction score
It looks like a "gravitating stopper" soda bottle. I think the gravitating stopper was petented in 1864, but they used it into the 1870's or 80's. Hutchinson bottles, which look almost the same but have less of a slope in the shoulders, pretty much replaced them by then.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Top does look like a gravitating soda but I never saw one with a round bottom. They ususally have the Matthews Patent info on bottom.
http://www.mattsoldhouse.com/MC/bottles/bottletypes/bottletypes.htm
there is a gravitating top shown on that web site.

bottlejunkie

Reaction score
Here is a pic of the bottom. there is no patent there or anywhere else on the bottle. there is also no seams on this bottle. if you look close you can see all these cool looking swirls in the glass. is this what you would call a free blown bottle? thanks for everyone's input and thanks GuntherHess, for the link to the informative website. so I am going with a "early pop bottle" probably around 1865-1880. thanks again, this has been a lot of help to me!

C.KYbottlejunkie

Ig11803.jpg

Attachments

• Ig11803.jpg
    Ig11803.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 98

GuntherHess

Reaction score
From the first photo you posted I thought the bottom was actually round.
Now that you show the close up of bottom I can see its actually not a round bottom.
It does look like a gravitating stopper bottle bottom. Maybe a copy by another company or one that wasnt marked with patent info. Need an expert on early sodas.

bottlebank

Reaction score
GIVE YOUR BOTTLE A GOOD CLEAN THEN POST SOME PICTURES AGAIN

bottlejunkie

Reaction score
How could I get it any cleaner? so far I have used a small bottle brush, some warm water and soap. any suggestions?

Thanks, C.KYbottlejunkie

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson