Bottle dumps in CT

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hi I’m a kid who lives in southern CT I’m sort of New at bottle digging and I’ve looked around the house with a probe and I’ve found a few bottles but they were all in random places and i don’t think from an outhouse or anything like that. Anyways if anyone knows where are the best places to look in the CT area are whether that’s in creeks or rivers or other places any help would be appreciated and i can understand not wanting to give a spot away but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

hemihampton

Reaction score
how old was the house lot you were probing? I usually start probing in back corners & property lines to look for Privy's. LEON.

P.S. Welcome to the site.

Last edited:

Sitcoms

Reaction score
I'm up in Maine, and I've found that medium-sized creeks and small rivers and produce a handful of bottles and a ton of shards more often then not. Often you're not going to find nearly the number of bottles you do in a dump or privy, unless you find a dumpsite along the river itself.

Be sure to check local laws - they will dictate where you're able to go without permission.

HunterTheFox59

Reaction score
I live in western Mass, and I've found many dumps over hills and in ditches, and along or near old stone walls. Often, I'll just follow the stone walls and they'll lead right to dumps. Lidar maps make it easy to find stone walls, hills, ditches, and cellar holes, showing you where there might be dump sites. I've also had luck in large and medium-sized rivers. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, the house is from the 1830s and it was a farm but at some point the farm was divided into a few properties but we don’t know. There are old stone fences on the property though so I will probe around them when the snow melts. I will also be sure to check local rivers when it warms up.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Farm Lots can be harder to find Privy's because the land so big & wide open & not usually well-defined corners on lot or property lines. Big city lots smaller & Sanborn Maps can help on these types of properties. LEON.

Len

CT LEN
Reaction score
Welcome to our online community. ..Any woods nearby/ on your property? Look in places where the snow doesn't get deep. (Running water always a degree or two warmer.) The places mentioned in the above messages are great. ..Until it gets Spring-like, let's not forget about that house you're in. Look for floor boards that are missing nails/seem loose. Same goes for original walls--like in closets. Dirt floor still in the basement? Is there a loose stone/brick in a fireplace? Sharpen your eyes. You might find all kinds of treasures that prior owners left behind. A metal detector is helpful. Just don't reach into somewhere where you can't see what you are attempting to grab. :rolleyes: ..Of course, "Barns are just outdoor museums"/ they hold a lot of treasures too. Often times bottle pits were under or around them and may still be there even if the structure has been taken down. Your probe will come in handy and save you a lot of time. If you go to your town hall they will have some records on your property's prior owners. The town library/historical society might have a pic as well. ..Want to dig like a pro? The CT State Natural History Museum (UCONN) has The State Office of Archaeology (+ it's supporters) located there. They'll get you exposed to digging and saving history by finding stuff at a field school site. Contact them online for the details. ..Any time you want to ask me a question or two just click on the envelope in the top right hand corner to start a direct "conversation." ..FYI- I'm in central CT. Good luck and don't tear up the house without permission;). --CT Len

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just found out that the basement In the old barn does have the original dirt floor. my parents don’t like it when me and my brothers head down there because of all the pipes but maybe this weekend I can use the metal detector down there.

Miiiiilk123

Reaction score
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiii this is milk123 just checking in I have seen you mudlarking before

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen