crawl/cistern/trash pit

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
The cisterns I have dug tend to deposit the bottles nearest the sides. I typically dig in a circular direction starting closest to a wall. I think there must be some swirling action as there are usually pitifully few bottles in the center. That's my 2 cents worth and good luck. By the slight curve in the wall in your pic it looks like a MONSTER! Maybe 12' in diameter. The smaller ones are where I have better luck. Dug two cisterns last year that were pre civil war period stuff. One dated back to the 1840's, other one late 50's to mid 60's. Trouble with most cisterns is, you can dig a crown top next to a pontled bottle. Kinda makes it less predictable and more exciting, in a perverted twisted way.......OOOH! Jack

tftfan

Reaction score
madman said:
wow , i like other people love digging cisterns, is the house abandonded? im sure theres bottles in there, how deep are you down?

Hey MAD, its in our basement, I was down doing work and noticed this dead space area, figured it need to be looked at. We are only 3 ft. down in a small hole now. No rm. for dirt piles. How deep can this be ? So, a lot of brick ,rocks, shards, and smalls. No easy way to get the dirt moved. This is gonna take some time. I think,....the half we are digging is caved in, don't wanna get stuck down in the hole !

tftfan

Reaction score
cannibalfromhannibal said:
The cisterns I have dug tend to deposit the bottles nearest the sides. I typically dig in a circular direction starting closest to a wall. I think there must be some swirling action as there are usually pitifully few bottles in the center. That's my 2 cents worth and good luck. By the slight curve in the wall in your pic it looks like a MONSTER! Maybe 12' in diameter. The smaller ones are where I have better luck. Dug two cisterns last year that were pre civil war period stuff. One dated back to the 1840's, other one late 50's to mid 60's. Trouble with most cisterns is, you can dig a crown top next to a pontled bottle. Kinda makes it less predictable and more exciting, in a perverted twisted way.......OOOH! Jack
Thanks for all the info Jack. Only one way to find the goodies ! [:D]

jarhead67

Reaction score
tftfan said:
Any info ? I cant find it on any search. This should be fun, I squeez into a little opening, cant be a foot by two ft. Army crawl back in. [:D] Hope we get some cool bottles !

Looks like an old Navy peacoat button. Fouled anchor is the giveaway. Fancy one so it might even be an officer's dress button.

deacon_frost

Reaction score
Hope you find some cool bottles, be sure and look in all the nooks and crannys in the floor joists ect, I found a rare hutch sitting up in a floor joist one time when I was doin the crawl space crawl

Bottles r LEET

Reaction score
The item in post #8 appears to be a monkey wrench. They were mainly used for square nuts, but they could also be used as a substitute for a crescent wrench. I have a few and they work pretty good.

tftfan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input, this little adventure has been on hold for a bit. Hope to get back to it this wk.[:D]

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide