Demijohn

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

photolitherland

Reaction score
I recently got this old Demi and was wondering if I could get some info on it, like age, where it was possibly made etc. I'm pretty sure it's an old one, hopefully early 1800s.

3b3ed74d.jpg

91df91c6.jpg

25f57429.jpg

5ce11153.jpg

575b5594.jpg

sorry for the bad photos, my computer crapper out on me so I'm just using my cell phone.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'd agree to later 19th but the opening baffles me. It looks like it's more that half closed off. Maybe a part of an early chicken water device or kerosene something. More utility than a beverage? Nice looking whatsit.

photolitherland

Reaction score
Yeah the opening is quite strange, I've never seen something like it before. It's def a sheered
off top and the applies top is huge. The inside of the top is very thick also and almost acts like a funnel towards the top. Something about the glass makes it seem much older than the 1860s but I know virtually nothing about these. One website did say the sheered off top bottles are older than the non sheered. Plus there's tons and tons of little bubbles in it and quite a few large ones. The small bubbles aren't all throughout the glass though, they appear in linear lines that sort of circle around the bottle, very strange.

photolitherland

Reaction score
Does anyone else know anything about these? I'm literally dying to know more about it and what it may be worth. I would never sell it but I did trade it for around a 400 dollar amethyst geode.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I can't come up with much more. I would say that it's not quite in the demi category. If you can find out if Kentucky/Louisville glass works produced that amber color it may be a start. They ended about mid 1870 if I remember. I'll try to check some books tomorrow.

photolitherland

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, I would have just guessed this was a European bottle, if it's an American bottle that just made it a lot better :)
So if it's not a demijohn, what should I call it? A semijohn ;)

botlguy

Reaction score
Again, I am no expert on this subject but I believe the "Carboy" and "Demijohn" designation depends on SIZE and SHAPE. I believe the bottle in question is a "Globular" shape / size rather than a Demijohn because of size. I believe Demijohns are above a certain size and globular or balloon shaped. A Carboy is a cylindrical, straight sided shape above a certain volume or size. I do not know the size breaking point. The same sort of argument can be made for the term "Flask".

My dictonary describes the following: Carboy: A large bottle, usually protected by a crate or basket, in which dangerous liquids, such as acids, are shipped.
Demijohn: A large bottle with a narrow neck, usually encased in wickerwork.

On pages 256 - 259 McKearin & Wilson discuss these and the terms seemed to be somewht synonomous in the 18th & 19th Century. But size is the most important feature, they were both "BIG". Also, most were covered with wicker. Later, the large bottles similar to our 5 gallon water bottles were securedin wooden or metal crates, held acids and other caustic fluids and were / are called Carboys. The crates were made so as to aid in the dispensing of the fluid giving greated control. They were "tippy".

P.S. Please forgive any mis-spelling, this tool doesn't appear to have spell check.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaveL