Digging in Japan

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

historic-antiques

Reaction score
I'm in Japan right now and got the chance to go digging on Thursday (for you in America, that would be Wednesday). Went up way in the mountains looking for a village founded in 1888 and abandoned in 1972. The place had at one point had 14 houses. No one lives there anymore. It's pretty inaccessible too. It's an hour hike from the nearest inhabited village.

On the way up, I noticed that the trail was littered with shattered porcelain. Half way up the mountain, I ran across the remnants of a recent landslide. In the rubble was a fragment of an Oriental Shinyaku. It was a recent break and what made it all the more tragic was that I believe it was a rare and valuable variation.

Well after that, I could not for the life of me find the village (I looked it up later and turns out, I had taken a wrong turn on the trail). On my way down, I found an old grave site with lots of broken porcelain and bottles. An hour of searching resulted in a pinged Nikki juice bottle and a marble.

Gonna try again this Wednesday or Thursday. I'll also be posting soon some photos of my finds at antique stores. We'll see if I can actually find the village this time round.
Beautiful bottles!!! All of them!!! Great to see antique bottles from Asia, puts new, refreshing perspectives on old bottles and the endless creativity of humans, everywhere!! Great finds!!!

Hezezilla

Reaction score
Beautiful bottles!!! All of them!!! Great to see antique bottles from Asia, puts new, refreshing perspectives on old bottles and the endless creativity of humans, everywhere!! Great finds!!!
Here are all the Japanese bottles I have. They're mostly common pieces and these date to around 1910 to 1940. The first picture (which is poorly lit) has a Wakamoto's stomach medicine (amber jar), a tiny melted tooth powder, a slick eye water, a Dai-Nippon beer bottle (small size), 1L Sake bottle, four embossed hair oils (all of which are different varieties), and a slick beer with only an embossed base.

The second photo with the foam has from top to bottom a 1.8L Noda Shoyu bottle, a Yamaguchi glass float, a possibly modern apothecary jar, two uranium glasses I bought in Japan, a 1940s cosmetic creme with the OG label, two juice bottles, a machine oil, and that Shinyaku fragment I previously posted about.

Any info about the hair oils, long-neck juice bottle, and shoyu bottle (especially concerning their rarity) would be very much appreciated.

Thx.

Attachments

• 20230703_121640.jpg
    20230703_121640.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230723_132602.jpg
    20230723_132602.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 76

Mailman1960

Reaction score
We have a decent relationship with Japan, but be careful. Law's in other countries treat things differently than here. If nothing else just say my cousin, it works here. Happy hunting.
Giddy Up!!!!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen